Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Dance of the Job Hunters

Started out the morning by finishing the second Babes In Toyland. The 1954 broadcast was so popular, a second version was remounted a year later. Day was still Tommy Tucker, Wally Cox remained Grumio, and Dave Garroway was narrating the story as the Macy's Santa. The main change was a slight upgrade to the sets and costumes, different clowns, and a switch of Broadway ingenue. Barbara Cook took the role of Jane Piper in the 1955 version. Most critics seem to prefer Sullivan's version, but I'm going to give the edge to Cook's. The show is a bit slicker, the clowns fit a little better, and dainty Cook looks more at home in the fairy-tale setting than too New York-ish Sullivan.

Spent most of the rest of the morning working on job hunting online. I e-mailed Stockton again. I still haven't heard from Dayna DeFiore. I really don't know what to do next. I'm not sure what job I want or should go after. Mom says I should try for a big corporation....but I'm in a big corporation now, and I hate it. I'd rather try something smaller, but I don't know what that should be. I don't know if I should be in communications, or radio, or a secretary, or work for a museum, or work at home, or what. I really have no idea. I'm hoping Ms. DeFiore will have some advice. If I don't hear from her before Stockton lets out for Christmas, I'll e-mail again after the tumult of the holidays die down in mid-January.

Did two Peanuts specials as I had a quick peanut butter and jelly on multi-grain bread sandwich and broccoli and mashed cauliflower for lunch. In A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, Peppermint Patty invites herself, Marcie, and Franklin to Chuck's house for dinner, but is disappointed to find that Chuck has only provided pretzels, popcorn, jelly beans, and toast. It takes speeches from Linus and Marcie to remind their friends that we still have lots to be thankful for, no matter what we have for dinner. The Mayflower Voyagers goes further into the history behind the holiday as the Peanuts gang play kids and animals on the that history-changing Pilgrim voyage to the New World.

Work was very busy for most of the afternoon, much busier than it was yesterday! A colder day coupled with it getting closer to Thanksgiving and the beginning of the month probably brought people out of the woodwork. I wish they hadn't. There were a lot of people who were cranky, obnoxious, and just plain rude. Several folks refused to help bag their orders, and some wouldn't let me help out...and in both cases, there were long lines. My last woman gave me a hard time over the salsa she wanted not being on sale. I just managed to get out on time.

When I got home, I went back into holiday specials as I had roasted Brussels sprouts and a leftover chicken leg for dinner. Mickey's Magical Christmas: Snowed In at the House of Mouse is really an episode of Mickey's House of Mouse with Mickey's Christmas Carol in its entirety thrown in during the second half as filler. If you're a fan of House of Mouse, this is really cute, especially the hilarious spoof of "The Nutcracker" (you've never lived until you've seen Donald as the Mouse King). Otherwise, it's out of print and completely skip-able. "The Nutcracker" segment may be on YouTube; Mickey's Christmas Carol can be found in at least three other DVD releases and a Blu-Ray release earlier this month on its own.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Most counties have workforce offices to help people find jobs. They also offer classes to help people write resumes and search for jobs effectively. That would probably be a lot more helpful than a college you graduated from more than a decade ago.

Emma said...

It would be a good idea...if ours wasn't in Camden. Plus, I tried the county workforce office when I lived in Wildwood, and they were of no help whatsoever.

Emma said...

Thank you for the suggestion anyway! :)