Friday, March 20, 2015

Springtime Snow Time

When I got up this morning, it looked like it had just started snowing. There was about an inch on the ground, and just on the ground. It wasn't sticking to the streets or the sidewalks. I figured it would be fine to just ride to work. I ignored the weather and celebrated the first day of spring with another Easter special. Daffy Duck gets a rare chance to have the spotlight to himself in Daffy Duck's Easter Egg-citement. This one is an anthology of three spring-themed Looney Tunes shorts. Daffy teams up with Sylvester in the first, as the two chase after a gold egg. The second has the miserly duck guarding a chocolate Easter bunny factory from Speedy Gonzoles, who wants to bring holiday treats to the children of his village. The third is Daffy solo, as he tries to figure out how to get north without flying.

The snow was coming down harder and fluffier when I left. It still wasn't sticking to the street, though. I wasn't calling Rose after her complaints a few weeks ago, and Dad and Jodie are still in the hospital. I just rode to work and got wet. The roads and sidewalks were perfectly clear at quarter of 11. Visibility was the main problem. I had a hard time seeing through the snow.

Work was on-and-off busy. It was really crazy when I arrived, but it calmed down after the lunch rush hour ended. I spent a lot of the afternoon either standing around or spring cleaning my register. Thankfully, it was quiet enough by 5 that I was able to shut down with no relief.

My schedule next week is a bit quieter, really par for the course at this time of year. I have one short and relatively late day on Sunday. Otherwise, it's all late morning and early afternoon work, Monday and Wednesday off. I'll get caught up on my schoolwork this week and finish putting up the Easter and spring decorations.

I didn't have nearly as much grocery shopping to do this week. It was mainly some restocking - canned pineapple, sugar, unbleached white flour, apples, grapefruit, skim milk, tape. McCormick's Grill Mate Seasonings were $1.50. I had a 25 cents off coupon from the Monopoly game that made it even cheaper. Went with the Steakhouse Onion Burger seasoning when I couldn't find the Worcestershire Pub Burger bottles. The Acme's generic cereal was on sale as well - picked up their unsweetened shredded wheat.

One of my customers had said earlier that it was supposed to snow until 10. He must have heard the weather report for the Poconos. It wasn't doing anything when I finished shopping. By the time I was heading to Arby's, it had started to rain. The parking lot was a slushy, sloppy mess. I just had a Turkey Club, fries, and Diet Dr. Pepper and watched the rain on the Black Horse Pike.

Since the Black Horse Pike didn't look that bad, I rode home. The main streets were still pretty clear, or at least, not as bad as the parking lot. The side of the roads and the sidewalks were messy as heck. I was very wet when I finally got home.

After I arrived, I called Mom to wish her a happy birthday. She'd just had a visit from my sister Anny and her two sons and baby daughter. She's still working at the Cape May-Lewes Ferry. They're evidently in the midst of spring cleaning, too. She re-opened the larger ticket booth for the season, and thought it was so dusty and dirty, she scrubbed every inch of it herself!

I listened to the soundtrack from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory as I put everything away. These songs are close to the hearts of many kids who grew up in the 70's and 80's, as one of the few movie musicals any of us really knew. Charlie and Grandpa Joe's jubilant "I've Got a Golden Ticket" is my favorite number. I also like Wonka's famous "Pure Imagination," performed in the Chocolate Room as the kids explore.

Incidentally, the rain continued for the rest of the night. As far as I can tell, it isn't doing anything right now...but I've heard clumps of snow falling off the roof since I got home. It's supposed to get into the 40's and 50's by next week. I don't think this snow will be around even as long as the last round. It's spring. The weather never lasts long.

No comments: