Sunday, November 05, 2017

The Eagles Gallop Over the Broncos

Cheered up a gloomy fall morning with Pear-Peanut Butter Pancakes for breakfast. I had a pear that was going soft, so I thought I'd try something a little different. Not bad. The peanut butter actually complimented the sweetness of the pear nicely; also added a bit of cinnamon and brown sugar. I burned the bottom of one, but it was still edible.

In honor of Election Day and Veteran's Day later this week, I did Yankee Doodle Mickey while I ate. This is a collection of patriotic songs performed by Disney characters, the Disneyland Chorus and Glee Club, and a kid's chorus (with solos by a very young Molly Ringwauld). This has become one of my favorite kids' records over the years. I'm especially fond of the rousing version of "The Liberty Tree" (from Disney's live-action version of Johnny Tremain) and the Armed Services Medley, with Mickey singing for the Air Force and Marines, Goofy for the Army, and Donald, of course, for the Navy.

Had an hour to work on writing after I cleaned up from breakfast. Leia comes downstairs, ready to give all four frog-men a piece of her mind. She meets Finn and Snap at the door. They say their Master is in the tower and can't be disturbed. Leia will have none of that and charges upstairs...to find the horned toad-king battered and bruised. She orders Jess to bring bandages and Finn to bring their breakfasts upstairs while she tends to his wounds.

Broke at noon for a quick lunch and to get ready for work. Put on the soundtrack for The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band as I got organized. This is another one that's gradually grown on me, to the point where I think it's the best of the three scores the Sherman Brothers did for Disney's purely live-action musicals. I'm especially fond of the ballad "'Bout Time" and two lively ensemble numbers, "Ten Feet Off the Ground" for the family of the title and "West O' the Wide Missouri" for the townspeople at the Election Day party.

Work was a mess all day long. I did gather some carts early on, but I was mostly doing returns. Every time I'd finish putting one cart away, I'd return to find two more filled. And I was pulled in the last ten minutes to take a customer and gather baskets. Not to mention, the other baggers who were there complained about not having enough help with the carts. I really should have been outside all day.

At least the Eagles had fun. The Broncos played badly and couldn't get anywhere near them. They eventually walloped them 51-23...which puts them at 8-1 and makes them the top team in the NFL. I think the entire Delaware Valley is probably as stunned as I am. I was hoping the Eagles would make the playoffs, given they haven't been there for a few years...but people are starting to consider them Super Bowl contenders. This is so awesome. They haven't played like this in over a decade. They're off next week too, giving them time to rest for their game on the 19th against Dallas.

I texted Jodie during break, asking her if she and Dad were doing anything at their house. Jodie invited me over for cheesesteaks. They were the only ones still there by the time I arrived. The cheesesteaks were worth it, though. Jodie used provolone cheese, real sliced beef, and lots of fried mushrooms and onions. I also had macaroni salad and a slice of deliciously moist gingerbread. Jodie had a gigantic bowl of macaroni salad left and let me take home a big container of it.

The Eagles were done by the time I got in, but there were other games on. The poor San Francisco 49ers couldn't get anything going against the Arizona Cardinals. They lost 20-10 and remain winless. The Redskins did better, managing to sneak past the Seattle Seahawks 17-14.

Went right into the bath when I got home. Ahhh. After the lunacy at work today, that felt really nice. I sat back, read obscure Grimm's Fairy Tales from the book I bought last month, listened to a jazz CD of Jerome Kern music, and just relaxed.

I'm finishing off the night with more patriotic music. America the Beautiful is a two-LP Reader's Digest collection of songs about the US, created in honor of the 100th anniversary of the Statue of Liberty in 1986. I actually found this at a thrift shop the year I moved here and have listened to it on or before patriotic holidays ever since.

I'm now listening to that most stirring of all American marches, "The Stars and Stripes Forever," on Side 2, Disc 2. The remaining songs are the themes from all of the branches of the US military - the disc just moved on to "Anchors Aweigh."

No comments: