Sunday, July 29, 2018

Strike Up the Band

It was about 7 when I opened my eyes this morning. That was a little too early, given I'd been up late chatting with Lauren (as I always do on Saturday nights when I work late the next day). I closed my eyes...and didn't open them again until 10:30! And I had work at noon! I was still able to make Blueberry Pancakes and listen to my ABBA Greatest Hits CD (in honor of the release of the sequel to Mamma Mia! this weekend) before hurrying off to work.

Work was really busy up through about 1:30-2 PM. I was alone from 1 to 2 and couldn't keep up with all the carts that were vanishing! Two more baggers arrived at 2, allowing me to do returns and gather baskets inside after break. I went back outside to help one of the baggers with the remaining carts around 4. It had slowed down considerably by that point, and I didn't have nearly as much trouble as I did earlier. Got money for my nephew Skylar's 14th birthday on Tuesday before heading home.

Did a little bit of writing when I got in (after reading a chapter of the cozy mystery If Books Could Kill). Charel comes in as Harry and Leia are about to kiss, carrying what's left of Clarence. Someone beat him to a pulp. The big Russian co-pilot offers to stay with him when Laurence arrived and invites Leia and Harry along to his nightclub the Paradise Club.

Moved on to Lego Clone Wars while eating leftovers for dinner. "Defenders of the Peace" had been so easy, I kept finishing the round before I could buy enough items for the minikit piece dispenser. I finally got that, which completed the round and the regular "mission" rounds. Got "Vader's Apprentice" as my last minikit character. (I believe the character is Galen Marek, aka Starkiller, from The Force Unleashed video games of the late 2000's.)

Ended the night with something I haven't thought of in a long time. I've listened to The Dress Circle, a radio show on musicals hosted by two Mercer County college professors, on and off since the late 90's. I used to barely be able to get WWFM in North Cape May as a teenager. I'd even rush through dinner just to be able to hear the show. I couldn't get it at Stockton, but it did come in when I lived at Wildwood. I'd given up on hearing it again after I moved up here...until I discovered that the show was now online.

Every Sunday at 7, the hosts choose songs from musicals, some quite obscure, that revolve around a performer or theme. This week's was "The Shows of July and August." (There aren't many Broadway openings during the summer, so these two months usually get lumped together.) This year's version isn't up yet, but you can find last year's show on their website.

The Dress Circle

No comments: