Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Writer's Day

Began a stunning, sunny morning with breakfast and a very strange Dr. Seuss special, Halloween Is Grinch Night. The Whos flee into their homes when a sour-sweet wind rouses the local animal population, whose noise sends the Grinch a' prowlin'. He's on his way to Whoville with his "paraphernalia wagon" filled with crazy psychedelic scares. When a young Who gets lost in the mountains and encounters the Grinch, he takes it on himself to make sure that this green menace never makes it to town.

Spent the rest of the morning trying to work on that game show essay. I did get a little further on it, but it's still not finished. I don't know why I have such a hard time concentrating. I know this is important. It's supposed to be one of three essays I'm writing to eventually post online, so professionals will see my work. I need to figure out how I can focus better and maybe feel a little more confident about getting things done.

Had a quick lunch around 1:30. Ran an even more unusual episode of Tiny Toon Adventures while I ate and got organized. "The Return of the Acme Acres Zone" brings three more strange horror and sci-fi spoofs. "Real Kids Don't Eat Broccoli" turns into a spoof of Blade Runner, with beautiful lady Babs asking cyber-detective Buster to find her runaway robots. A ghost tries to scare Plucky and Hamton out of his ancient hotel in "Boo Ha Ha." Plucky is "Duck Dodgers Jr." as he helps Daffy stop Marvin the Martian and his protege Marsha from sucking the universe into building blocks.

Headed out to run errands around quarter after 2. It was a glorious day for a ride through the park...and I wasn't the only one who thought so. I dodged joggers, other bikers, people out for a stroll, dog walkers, and Canadian geese poking around for a late snack. I really wish the trees would start turning colors! There isn't much here. The leaves are just falling, and it's not very pretty. At least the sunlight sparkled on the bottle green lake.

The Haddon Township Library was equally busy when I arrived. There was a lot to return, and once again, half of it didn't fit on the DVD shelves. At least I got more on the kids' shelves this time. Took out The Corpse Bride, Aquaman, and for review later this week, All That Jazz and the original 1977 Pete's Dragon.

Made a quick run to Dollar Tree when I got out. Lauren's birthday is at the end of the week. I bought a tin and a card for her. Needed sponges, too. There was a long line, but they opened a second while I was waiting.

Went straight into other writing when I got home. Brett has her reasons for wanting to go after the evil queen right away. Her children are in the dungeon at Malade's castle, and her (still) husband was turned to stone. She has nowhere else to go. Touched by her loss, Charles and the Merry Men convince Richard to at least let her stay the night.

Broke for dinner around 7. Had leftovers for dinner, then made a tasty apple-pear crisp from my new Susan Branch cookbook while watching Ziegfeld Follies. I go into more detail on this massive MGM revue from the 1940's at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Ziegfeld Follies (1946)

No comments: