Hurried to work on the bike after the cartoon ended and just barely got there in time. Thankfully, that was the worst thing that happened all day. The Acme was pin-drop quiet almost the entire morning. In fact, I spent the morning outside, pushing carts and dodging repairs on the roof. The head bagger took over the sweeping and indoor chores. I was in and out with no trouble whatsoever.
Oh, and I got my schedule for next week at work. It's perfectly normal. I do have six-hour days on the weekends, Sunday early due to the morning bagger taking off that day. Wednesday is the only other day, and it's a normal four-hour shift. I'll be able to enjoy a full day off on Monday (the schools are closed that day) and will have plenty of time to put up Halloween decorations and do research on low-income housing options.
Since I had to get to Thomas Sharp fast as possible, I took the Black Horse Pike. That might not have been the greatest idea. It did get me there in about 20 minutes by bike, but the traffic was iffy and the sidewalks were narrow and filled with obstacles. I was just glad to turn off into West Collingswood, and then onto Collings Avenue.
The moment I walked through the back door into the cafeteria, four of the girls squealed my name and ran right over to give me (or my legs) huge hugs! I never had such a lovely greeting or felt more appreciated. The kids don't know how happy I felt when they hugged me.
Today was a half-day at Thomas Sharp. They were just finishing lunch when I arrived. I ate my lunch with the few remaining kids who hadn't finished theirs, either. After I ate and the girls put their lunch bags in their backpacks, we got everyone outside. Since there were only 12 kids today, I let them on the swings the moment we hit the playground. There was some arguing, mainly over who would swing with whom, but most of the kids finally got tired of waiting. By the time we went inside at 3, the two remaining girls were playing on the patio with one of the boys, while the other three boys were chasing each other around the slides.
At least it was a gorgeous day for all the running around. It's still sunny, breezy, and warm, probably in the lower-mid 70's. Couldn't be nicer.
When we got them back inside, half of the kids made more bead necklaces. The others settled down to color copier fall pictures with me. I found a picture of a spider and autumn leaves one kid started coloring, then abandoned. That little spider was too adorable to leave with one black leg, so I finished the picture. Other kids colored in beautiful butterflies or scenes of fall flowers and pumpkins, or back-to-school apple artwork. By 4 PM, there were only 3 little boys and 7 older kids left and plenty of help. They let me and another teacher go early.
Stopped at Dollar General on the way home. Healthy Kids is having a Halloween party for our students on the 30th. Each teacher is supposed to decorate their table and provide containers of treats for the kids. I've already decided that I'll give my kids their own Mystery Bags, since I already make them for trick-or-treaters. Bought the bags and vampire teeth.
Went straight into vacuuming and dusting when I got home. Watched The Price Is Right on Buzzr while I worked. The first episode pit a lady against a very big and quiet gentleman. The "story" Showcase was country vs city living, including a truck. The generic showcase had bedroom furniture, luggage, and a trip to Acapulco. The lady didn't bid high enough on that truck. The gentleman ended up getting a beautiful new bed and the trip to Mexico.
Let it continue into the 5 PM Price while I dusted. There were quite a few big winners here. One college-age male flight attendant was thrilled when he became one of the few people I've seen get all four honks on One Away and walk away with the car. An older woman had no trouble with Hit Me, either. Alas, a young woman had far more trouble with Three Strikes, getting all of the numbers but one before she got that final strike. Two men, the flight attendant and a sweet older gentleman who looked like Ernest Borganine, made it to the Showcases. Two stories this time. Janice became "Sherlock Soames," finding clues leading to a trip to Venice. Holly and Dian kept fighting over who was top Girl Scout as they revealed prizes leading to a camper. The older man went over on the Venice trip. The kid got his camper.
Had dinner while watching Match Game '77. The first hour finished out the week with Craig Morris, Roz Kelly, and Joyce Bulifant. Brett was more than happy to pant over Anson Williams during the second hour. Richard was probably questioning a lot of his life choices when he found himself caught between comic southern belles Mary Ann Mobley and Fannie Flagg.
Finished the night back at Paramount Plus with The Love Boat. Who else but Vincent Price would star in the second-season Halloween episode "Ship of Ghouls?" He's a mentalist whose work has gathered quite a few aging groupies, to the annoyance of his fiancee (Joan Blondell), who ends up spending the night in the Captain's cabin. Two parents who recently got back together (Gary Collins and Mary Ann Mobley) have trouble keeping their young son (Charlie Aiken) from lying to everyone he meets. His lies end up saving a model (Barbara Anderson) and friend of Julie's whose face was scarred in an accident. The boy's attention and Gopher and Doc competing for her make her feel beautiful again.
No comments:
Post a Comment