Thursday, February 07, 2013

Balance and the Sailor Man

Started out a sunny morning with my first yoga class in a couple of weeks. Perhaps because of the storm that's been threatened for tomorrow, the class was incredibly busy. I just barely squeezed in on the end. We mainly worked on balance and warrior poses. I wish I could balance better. I need to do some kind of strength training, too. I just can't lean on my shoulders for very long.

Since Yogawood is on the same block as the Hair Cuttery, I decided to get my hair done after class. They weren't nearly as busy at quarter of 11. There was only one other person there. A lovely young woman named Danielle did my hair. I got it cut shorter than I did last time, or for a while. I think I got it done too short; I can barely put it in a ponytail. That's ok. I sometimes miss just tossing it back in a headband when it gets really long, and it's cute when it's all curly. I just wanted to de-frizz it.

Considering what happened the last time I got my hair done, I figured I'd be safer just going straight home. When I got in, I made an omelet for lunch and watched more Popeye shorts. I love how many of these shorts don't always stick to the usual "Popeye rescues Olive from Bluto" routine. In "Brotherly Love," Olive's the one who helps out when Popeye tries to break up a mob, and almost gets broken himself. Popeye and Bluto trade horseplay for competing in magic tricks in "King of the Mardi Gras." "Bridge Ahoy!" has Olive, Wimpy, and Popeye working together to build a bridge when Bluto's ferry proves too expensive. Olive and Popeye also work together in "Be Kind to 'Aminals'" when they defend a horse Bluto's abusing.

Spent the rest of the afternoon doing things on the computer before heading out to the Acme. It was getting cloudy even as I rode there, and the clouds did have the pearly sheen of snow...but it wasn't really that cold. It was probably in the upper 30s-lower 40s, normal for this time of year.

I wish someone had pointed that out to my customers. We were busy for most of the night. Everyone's convinced that we're going to get hit. No, we're not. At press time, New England is supposed to get hit - Lauren said northwestern Massachusetts could get 20 inches or more. We're supposed to get 2 to 5 inches by late tomorrow night, maybe. That's not all that much more than what we've been getting on and off all winter. Thankfully, things slowed down considerably after rush hour.

No comments: