Saturday, August 17, 2013

A Fair Day for a Craft Show

Started off another sunny, breezy day with this week's American Top 40 re-run. Mid-August 1984 would have been a very busy time in my family, as I prepared to begin school in September and the rest of my family prepared for Mom's new bundle of joy. Songs I heard as I wondered about these changes included "I Can Dream About You" by Dan Hartman, "Sunglasses at Night" by Corey Hart, "Stuck On You" by Lionel Richie, "If Ever You're In My Arms Again" by Peabo Bryson, "Dancing In the Dark" by Bruce Springsteen, "Round and Round" by Ratt, "What's Love Got to Do With It?" by Tina Turner, and "When Doves Cry" by Prince and the Revolution.

It took a tune from that summer's blockbuster movie to knock Prince out of the top spot after five weeks. The title song of Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr. was every bit as popular as the much-loved supernatural comedy that ended up being the smash hit of the year. The song still shows up regularly every Halloween.

Headed out to run the usual Saturday morning errands after the show ended. Checked a yard sale in Oaklyn first, but that proved to be fruitless. There were a few interesting records and CDs, but nothing I couldn't live without. I escaped while the proprietor was showing a couple of young boys his fishing equipment.

Collingswood was far more interesting. The Farm Market was, surprisingly, busy but not as bad as usual. I saw deep purple Italian plums and beautiful Gala apples for the first time this year. Dodged the crowds to pick up peaches, Chinese beans, blueberries, a tomato, mushrooms, cucumbers, and those Gala apples.

I'd seen detours and unusual traffic around Collingswood all morning. I couldn't figure out why until I saw the orange cones blocking Collings Avenue, near the parking lot where the Farm Market's usually held. Today is the first day of Colllingswood's annual Fine ArtsFestival. It's pretty much the same deal as the May Fair on Memorial Day Weekend, only held over two days, and with no rides or car show. It's just food and crafts. I saw the usual assortment of jewelry and clothing booths. I saw the same elderly woodworker who was there last year, this time working on tiny mushrooms. I saw a photographer who had a booth set up to take pictures of families with a Collingswood backdrop.

I checked out two more yard sales in Collingswood and Audubon, but neither had anything really useful. I just headed home around 11:30. Spent the next few hours checking my account online and doing things around the apartment. I washed the windows. I cleared the cobwebs from around corners. (And there's a lot of them this summer. The spiders must have come in here to avoid the rain.) I made an omelet with farm market vegetables and a salad for lunch. I called America's Best to find out what's going on with the contacts. I called them at 1:30. They said they'd call back before 2:30. They never did, of course. If my phone is any indication, they still haven't called back. I'll check with them on Tuesday.

Work was on-and-off busy for most of the evening, busier than yesterday but nothing out of the ordinary for the weekend or the time of the year. If people weren't buying cakes and goodies for barbecues and birthday parties, they were going to or coming from vacation. It slowed down enough for me to leave without a relief at 8 and enjoy a beautiful lavender and magenta sunset going home.

No comments: