Thursday, August 01, 2013

Strike Up the Rain

I started a gloomy, rainy morning by finishing LuLu In Hollywood and working my way through Strike Up the Band. I did research for Stockton online for a few hours and looked up traffic and weather reports. I was worried about more flooding after all the mess on Sunday. It seems that this time, we got lucky. While the rain was heavy, it was more spread-out than the all-at-once deluge last weekend was. I tried calling Dad for a ride to work, but he and Jodie are in Ocean City, Maryland for the weekend. I got Jessa by default. She was on her way back from a fabric store with a friend and already out and about in the weather anyway.

The irony is, the rain was slowing down, even as we headed to the Acme. This could be why it was dead for much of the day there. I spent most of the first half of the day helping the stock people put away pharmacy items - vitamins, deodorant, aspirin, stomach medicine, lotion, and nasal spray. (And some of those things were really wet. The ceiling in the storage room in the back leaks something horrible during bad storms.) It picked up considerably during rush hour. This is the beginning of the month, and between that and the weather, we had quite a few cranky customers who made me wish I was back stocking items.

By the time Jessa picked me up at 7:30, it was cloudy, but the rain was gone and looked like it had been for a while. There may be more rain this weekend, but once again, I don't think it'll cause as much of a problem as last week...and it looks like it'll take the last of the July heat with it.

No comments: