Thursday, September 12, 2013

Muppet Musicians and Rainy Wonderlands

I overslept. I looked at the clock, and it said 7PM. I closed my eyes...then opened them and the clock said 9:30. Eeek! I worked at 12! I had just enough time to write in my journal, read the first chapter of Alice In Wonderland, have a quick muffin and peach breakfast, and listen to a record. I love the Peter Pan kids' record  version of Alice with the 70s comic-book-style art inside and catchy songs like "A Curious Thing" and the title tune that bookends the album.

It was wet when I got outside, but by the time I headed to work, the rain was down to clouds, heavy humidity, and heat (though not quite as hot as yesterday). It also kept the crowds at bay. It was on and off busy all day long. It did get crazy during rush hour, but it slowed down enough by 6 that I was able to leave with no relief.

When I got out, the streets were dry. It looked like it hadn't rained in a while. The clouds were building up again, though. Thankfully, I was long at home and eating flounder in chicken broth with cucumber salad for dinner when the rain did start again. (To date, we haven't gotten the thunderstorms they predicted, though.)

I ran the LP of The Muppet Musicians of Bremen I picked up a few years ago during dinner. Unlike the other Muppet fairy tale specials from the late 60s and early 70s, this version of the Grimm's tale is played pretty straight. Four worn-out old animals - a donkey, a dog, a cat, and a rooster - flee their abusive robber owners and form a band. When they find a house, they think they've found a family...but they've really found their former owners gloating over their spoils.

We taped this off of either HBO or The Disney Channel in the 80s, and I have some very fond memories of it. While the animals singing about their ages can be a bit depressing, how they get rid of the robbers - and what they think the robbers really are - is still funny as heck.

No comments: