Monday, November 24, 2014

Autumn Was Warm

I can't believe how warm it was when I got up this morning! It was sunny, windy, and at least in the 70s. I didn't need a sweater or even long sleeves, never mind a coat. I was even able to open the windows and air out the apartment.

I had my usual cereal for breakfast while enjoying one of my favorite lesser-known Rankin-Bass specials, The Stingiest Man In Town. This late-70s adaptation of a 1950s live-action musical Christmas Carol has some really lovely music; my favorite songs are "An Old Fashioned Christmas" for Nephew Fred and "Yes, There Is a Santa Claus" for Martha Cratchit to sing to her brother Tiny Tim. The cast is nice, too. Walter Matthau is the older Scrooge. Robert Morse is Scrooge in his younger years. Tom Bosley narrates as insect B.A.H Humbug. This marked Dennis Day's last TV performance as an especially good Nephew Fred.

Ran to the laundromat after the show ended and I made my bed and changed my sheets. Needless to say, they weren't that busy on such a nice day. I listened to The Price Is Right and did my small load. Even with the sheets, it took less than an hour to get it all done.

When I got home, I ran another, more unusual version of A Christmas Carol as I put away my clothes and linens and made chicken burgers, broccoli, and Cranberry Flummery for lunch. An American Christmas Carol takes us to 1933 New Hampshire, where Benedict Slade (Henry Winkler in a pile of aging makeup) rules the small town with an iron fist. He ruthlessly repossesses the treasures of its citizens, then fires his assistant on Christmas Eve. Needless to say, a visit by three spirits makes him rethink his views on charity, forgiveness, and kindness. Not great, but not bad either. Interesting if you're a fan of Winkler or want to try a different kind of Carol.

I hurried downstairs around twelve after 2 to head to work. I got quite a shock when I got to the path. The back tire of my bike had gone flat. Again. After Richard fixed it. It was perfectly fine this morning when I went to the laundromat! I tried and tried to pump it, but it just wouldn't stay. I ultimately accepted a ride from a kindly neighbor and just barely made it to work on time. I felt bad about making such a fuss, but I had no choice. I had to get to work. She had to go grocery shopping anyway and ended up driving me home as well.

Maybe it's just as well. Work was crazy for most of the afternoon, especially during rush hour. Snow jitters (we're supposed to get snow mixed with rain on Wednesday) coupled with this being three days before the biggest food holiday of the year equaled noisy panic. We still don't have enough help to deal with it, either, even with the hours increased. Thankfully, it died rather quickly by 7:30. I had no problems shutting down without a relief.

I have no choice. I'm going to have to get to the bike shop in Haddonfield tomorrow. I'll walk to the PATCO and take a train to Haddonfield, then ride back as soon as they finish with the bike. Good thing I don't work until 2 tomorrow and the rain isn't supposed to start until nightfall. I have the time.

No comments: