Thursday, January 29, 2015

Riverside Musical Revue

I had early work today. Work was on-and-off busy, not as bad as it probably will be over the weekend, but not horrible, either. We had plenty of help this time, even as most of the managers and baggers were cleaning the front by the registers. My relief was late; a manager came in for me.

When I got home, I did some vacuuming while listening to CD's and records. I had a Barry Manilow kick today. I did Copacabana while I was getting organized. This was a London musical based around one of Manilow's most famous creations. Sweet Lola comes to New York and ends up at the famous nightclub of the title, where she falls for Tony, the club's top male dancer. She's whisked off to Havana by a famous gangster. Tony goes after her with their cowardly boss. Also did some of my 2-disc Manilow's greatest hits LP.

Switched to The Wizard of Oz during dinner. This is the very famous 1939 version. Dorothy (Judy Garland) longs to escape sepia-toned Kansas and the nasty old lady (Margaret Hamilton) who wants to take her beloved dog Toto away. A tornado whisks her over the rainbow, where she encounters a talking, dancing scarecrow (Ray Bolger), a sentimental tin woodsman (Jack Haley), and a funny, very cowardly lion (Bert Lahr) who all want to change their lives. Dorothy just wants to get out of there, so she and her friends go to the Emerald City to meet the title character. The Wicked Witch of the West (Hamilton) dogs them every step of the way. The Wizard seems fearsome, and his orders to eliminate the Wicked Witch seems impossible. Turns out that it's not as impossible as it seems...and the Wizard isn't what he seems, either.

While not my favorite musical, this is still one of the most famous movies of all time, especially for families. Lahr's hilarious lion has always been my favorite part, along with some of the famous music. I probably don't need to recommend this to anyone. If you love musicals, the cast, fantasies, or Oz in general, this is one of the most famous ones of all time.


No comments: