Sunday, January 25, 2015

Snow Makes the World Go 'Round

It was sunny and breezy when I got up this morning. I read Anne of Green Gables for a while, then wrote in my journal before getting started. I've had candied fruit from the Christmas clearance tables sitting my my refrigerator for a while, so I made Candied Pineapple Pancakes for breakfast.

The sun remained as I headed to work. Work was a total and completely nuthouse all day long. I didn't find out until later tonight, but it's supposed to snow here, and snow hard. As of right now, we could get anywhere from 4 to 12 inches. They're supposed to get a ton more up north - my best friend Lauren in Pittsfield, Massachusetts could be seeing up to two feet! It was fine today. Thankfully, my relief was one of the college boys who is always on time. I hurried out as soon as I could.

When I got in, I went online. My next-door neighbor Richard was (finally) taking down his outdoor Christmas decorations in anticipation of tonight's weather. I checked the National Weather Service, then looked at some of the doll message boards I belong to.

Spent the rest of the evening baking and listening to records. I used that Cinnamon Roll mix and two bananas that were getting squishy and made Cinnamon Banana Cake. Lowered the fat content with egg whites and slightly less vegetable oil. Yum. A little crumbly, but not bad. Sweet and very banana-y.

Started off with Carnival while making the cake. In this lovely stage version of the film musical Lili, we begin with a third-rate traveling fair in France. Sweet little Lili (Anna Maria Albergetti) arrives and falls for the handsome magician Marco (James Mitchell). Marco, however, is a cad who is already stringing along his current assistant (Kaye Ballard). Lili ultimately ends up working for Paul, a bitter puppeteer (Jerry Orbach) and his puppet ensemble. Lili thinks they're real and really loves singing with them...but she isn't fond of their nasty human. His anger almost drives her away, until she realizes who she truly loves.

It's too bad the CD for this one is long out of print. The music is genuinely beautiful, especially "Beautiful Candy" and "Love Makes the World Go 'Round." Look for the LP if you're a fan of Orbach, Albergetti, or unusual romantic musicals.

Finished up with leftovers and my Debbie Gibson Out of the Blue LP. My sisters and I loved her when we were little. Rose and Anny actually shared the black hat she used to wear. Mom's got a couple of pictures of Rose wearing it at her house. We definitely had this record when it came out in the late 80's. (We had Electric Youth too, but I think that was on cassette.)

(Incidentally, at press time, it's only wet out there. We had a little sprinkle of rain earlier, but no snow.)

No comments: