Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Mysteries and Mermaids On a Rainy Day

I slept late today. I've been up a little too late more than I should have been recently. When I did get going, I started the day with breakfast and the next episode of Scooby Doo and Scrappy Doo. Horror movies come into play in "The Ghoul, the Bat, and the Ugly." The gang is going to attend the Batty Awards, which honor the best performers in horror films. This year, it looks like there may not be a show, thanks to the Shadow Creature roaming around. He's chased away the guests and slashed the film that was supposed to be previewed to ribbons. Shaggy and Scooby would rather hide in the maze, but Velma suspects that the answer to the Creature's appearance may be in the movie itself...

Hit the laundromat as soon as I finished breakfast. It was quarter of 12 by then. I put off doing the laundry for a few days so I could get it done on my day off instead of rushing after work. They were fairly busy, but I did get a washer and a dryer with no problems. Good thing, too. I had a big load this week, thanks to waiting two extra days. I spent the whole time working on notes. By the time I was finished, most people had left.

Went home, folded and put away the clothes, then went right back out. It rained the night before, but hadn't done anything since then. The clouds had been in and out all day. It wasn't really hot, but it was cut-the-air-with-a-knife humid. I needed ice cream. I ended up having lunch at Friendly's. They were surprisingly busy for 1:30, with several mothers and grandmothers and their children and at least two pairs of older women enjoying a late lunch. I had a tasty Patty Melt, a burger topped with fried onions and Swiss cheese on rye bread and fries. Decided to try something different and very summery for ice cream - Rockin' Poppin' Cotton Candy with marshmallow topping. It was raspberry-blue and pale pink with some kind of bits (crispy pieces? candy bits?) mixed in. Ahh. Very sweet and yummy.

There wasn't much going on at the Haddon Township Library. The threat of bad weather must have scared everyone off. Once again, I was able to shelve all the children's DVDs with no problems, but couldn't begin to fit the adult titles. Otherwise, there was nothing going on, no new releases or audio media to put away. I was in and out in a half-hour.

Made a fast stop at Family Dollar on my way home. I wanted to buy trash bags there because Family Dollar sent me a coupon for Glad. I forgot that coupon, but I did have another dollar one I got out of the circulars on Friday. I got my Glad Febreze/Gain bags and a Dasani Strawberry Water. (I haven't seen the Dasani flavored waters in years.)

The sun was out for most of the afternoon. It had gotten hot, and the mugginess was stifling. I spent the rest of the day at home, working on The Little Mer-Betty. Betty is the little mermaid, who lives under the waters of the Atlantic with her father the king Mackie, her siblings Jeff, Enid, Doug, and C.J, and her grandparents Gertie and Mr. Eldridge. She's fascinated by her grandmother's stories of the world above the waves. Mackie's birthday present for her is her first time going to the surface.

When she arrives, she sees a ship and climbs the anchor, taking in the dancing crew. Among the men are handsome captain Scott, celebrating his return from Asia with expensive cargo. She's starting to fall for him...but a storm may bring him closer to her than she could have ever imagined...

Oh, and we did finally get rain later in the day. It had showered briefly, for about two seconds, when I was on my way to Friendly's. The real rain finally started around 5. It poured for about 20 minutes, then stopped. To my knowledge, it hasn't rained since. Hopefully, it at least got rid of the humidity.

The rain was long gone by the time I was eating dinner around 6. I continued Scooby and Scrappy while I cleared out leftovers. Shaggy's screaming "Rocky Mountain Yiiiiii" when the ghost of an old miner comes back to haunt a Denver ski resort, looking for his lost pot of gold. While Scrappy attempts to get his uncle and his uncle's best friend to learn skiing, the rest of the gang find out what was really in that pot of gold.

"The Sorcerer's a Menace" in an Atlantic City on the verge of major changes. A magician opening a big act at one of the fancy new hotels is haunted by the ghost of his former mentor, who makes the valuable Black Pearl do more than disappear. Shaggy and Scooby would rather be eating salt water taffy at Steel Pier. Velma has her own ideas about what the ghostly magician is doing on the boardwalk.

Ended my night in a quiet, blissful bath. Ahhh. I haven't had one of these in a while. I needed it rather badly, especially after sweating in a muggy day. I listened to my By George jazz CD of Gershwin music (including at least three versions of "Summertime") and looked over my Christmas cake decorating book and two of the Christmas With Southern Living books, working on ideas for holiday gifts.

No comments: