Monday, November 23, 2015

It's a Wonderful Bath

In honor of the first really cold day of the season here, I started the morning with Frosty the Snowman during breakfast. The original 1969 Rankin-Bass tale takes us to a schoolyard on the day before Christmas. A group of kids find a magician's hat he's gotten rid of that suddenly brings their just-built snowman to life. While one of the kids and the magician's rabbit take Frosty to the North Pole to keep him from melting, the magician sees that the hat has real magic and decides he wants it back.

Headed right to the laundromat after I finished breakfast. They weren't really busy; I only saw a few people the whole time. Some folks may be waiting for closer to Thanksgiving to get their linens done. It's just as well. I had a big load this week, including sheets. I listened to The Price Is Right and worked on story notes while my laundry was in the drier.

When I got home, I put everything away, then did a really quick writing session. I'm putting Once Upon a Time In the Land of WENN on hold for the duration of the holiday season in favor of Christmas stories. Had just enough time to start my next "fairy tale," Babes In WENNLand. Lisa and Alan Herbert are the last two kids remaining after the "Tell It to Santa" broadcast on the second season episode "Christmas In the Airwaves." Alan is a typical rambunctious kid who can't sit still and loves WENN's action shows "The Masked Man" and "Amazon Andy." Lisa thinks he's being a baby. She's frequently in charge of her brother and many household chores while their single mother works in the toy section of a local department store. As they wait for their mother to pick them up, they observe the WENN cast and crew's comings and goings at the reception area.

Put on Mickey's Christmas Carol while having leftovers for lunch. Though Mickey is the title character here, he's actually in the more fitting role of Bob Cratchit. Uncle Scrooge gets the main role as his namesake Ebeneezer Scrooge, who learns a lesson in holiday charity and kindness from the ghosts of Christmas past (Jiminy Cricket), present (Willie the Giant), and future (Big Pete). Donald is his Nephew Fred; Goofy makes a surprisingly good Jacob Marley.

Went straight to work after Mickey ended. Work was pretty much the same as it was last week - steady when I came in, dead when I left, busy only during rush hour. The gorgeous weather probably helped. It was sunny, cold, and windy today, but really not anything that out of the ordinary for late November in southern New Jersey. I think we only got crazy last year right before Thanksgiving because there was a threat of snow mixed with rain that Wednesday. It died so fast by 7, I was able to shut down with no relief and no need for one.

Went right in the bath as soon as I got home. Ahhh. I needed that. I haven't taken one in a couple of weeks, I think. I read It's a Wonderful Christmas (a book Linda Young sent me a few years ago on how the years from 1940 to 1965 shaped our current Christmas traditions) and listened to my CD copy of the full Nutcracker score.

No comments: