Sunday, May 28, 2017

Yankee Doodle Girl

Began the day with the first of two early work sessions in a row. I mopped the floor in the men's bathroom (which I never got to yesterday) and did some returns, but I was mostly outside gathering carts. Also ended up sweeping cigarette butts again. The managers put up signs saying only to smoke in certain places, but I really doubt most people will listen.

It was steady all morning, though thankfully never overwhelming. I was able to use the free iodized salt coupon I couldn't use yesterday because they were out after work. It was still sunny, breezy, and warm at this point, and had been all morning. I took advantage of the nice weather to head down Nicholson Road for a bike ride. The traffic was fairly heavy down by Wal Mart and the Hispanic church. The closer I go to Oaklyn, the faster it vanished.

When I got in, I put on a record while making Peanut Butter Pancakes for lunch (since I didn't have the time to make them for breakfast). Yankee Doodle Mickey is a collection of patriotic songs performed by the Disney characters, the Disneyland Chorus, and a young Molly Ringwauld, I believe from the late 70's-early 80's. Along with folk tunes like "Yankee Doodle," two George M. Cohan tunes ("Yankee Doodle Dandy," "You're a Grand Old Flag"), and the expected hymns and anthems ("God Bless America," "The Battle Hymn of the Republic") are some unique or unusual numbers. The Disneyland Glee Club puts in a rousing performance of "The Liberty Tree" from Disney's version of Johnny Tremain, while the Disney characters do a medley to honor the Armed Services. (Mickey sings for the Air Force and the Marines, Goofy for the Army, and of course, Donald gets the Navy.)

Finally finished Shadow Games after lunch, since I didn't have time for reading this morning. Since I was already in bed, as soon as the book was done, I took a nap. It's been a while since I had a really early work day, and I did a lot of running around. I was just tired out.

I was only out for about an hour or so. When I pulled myself out of bed, I did a little writing. Langdon wants to take back his home and make up for Henry's arrest and abduction. He orders his own valet Laurence and his stable boys to subdue the Coruscant soldiers. Leia and Charles aren't ready to trust him. Cedric does - after all, he's a gentleman! Charles nearly squeezes the life out of him before he reveals that Fettson has Henry in the stables and is just about ready to leave.

It was almost quarter of 7 before I finally broke for dinner. Had chicken salad sandwiches on hot dog rolls for a quick dinner. Played Lego Star Wars: Clone Wars while I ate. I had more luck with this one on my own than I did with Lauren. Managed to get Anakin onto one of the critters and take a preying mantis-like monster out before the Jedi Calvary arrived. When they did get there, I had to make sure they got back on their ships and close the door safely.

Unlike Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, which is based after linear films, Clone Wars was inspired by a weekly ongoing action cartoon. Instead of just moving on to the next mission from the hub, two missions opened. I tried one, with Obi-Wan and Anakin chasing Count Dooku, but I didn't get far. Did much better with Anakin's apprentice Ahsoka, one of the clone commanders Rex, and a little black astometech droid setting up explosives to blow up a clone-making facility. Once I figured out what I was doing, that one was kind of fun. It ended with the black droid turning out to be a spy...and Artoo actually dueling with him while the others escaped.

Clone Wars is slightly more complex than Complete Saga, both in graphics and in game play. With so many Jedi around, you use the Force a lot more, including for most building. The clones and their grappling guns replace Indy's whip here. It's also a lot easier to get killed. Enemies are stronger, and there's more of them. It's more like what I've seen of Lego The Force Awakens online. I'll see if I can return to the Dooku mission the next time I play, now that I have a better understanding of how the basics work.

Oh, and the clouds were scuttling in, even as I rode home. It didn't start raining until a few hours ago, though. Thankfully, it sounds like the rain is going to peter out by early morning. Jodie invited me over for burgers and hot dogs tomorrow at 4, and I suspect she'd be happier cooking them while dry.

No comments: