Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Sunny Day Dolls

It was sunny and breezy for the first time in ages when I awoke this morning. Celebrated with classic Dr. Seuss. The Cat In the Hat arrives to brighten two bored kids' day indoors. His wild antics searching for a (supposedly) lost family heirloom amuse the kids. The family fish doesn't think it's as all funny, especially after the Cat brings out his "Things" helpers who make an even bigger mess.

Headed out around 11:30 (after messing around with my phone for a while) to run a few errands in Oaklyn. Started with a quick stroll down to the CVS on the border of Collingswood and Oaklyn. I was looking for that Star Wars-themed Vanity Fair issue. No luck here either. I walked out with nothing.

Next stop was the Oaklyn Library. With the day becoming nicer and nicer by the minute, they were even less busy than CVS. It was just me and the librarian for most of the half-hour or so I was there. I mainly organized DVDs, then took a few out. I haven't seen The Secret Life of Pets at the Haddon Township Library yet, and it'll likely be a while before they get La La Land. I have fond memories of the original The Flash TV show from the early 90's and thought I'd give the first season of the recent version a try.

Strolled quickly to WaWa to pick up skim milk, then went down to Phillies Phatties for lunch. I had my usual slice of cheese and slice of mushroom, plus a can of Pepsi Fire. It was so nice by quarter of 1, I sat at the benches to eat, listening to a pair of college students chatter.

(By the way, the Pepsi Fire is...accurately named. It tastes pretty decent going down, sweet but a bit earthy, and very much like real cinnamon. The aftertaste, however, is spicy and biting and lingers rather unpleasantly in the back of your mouth afterwards. I don't regret having tried it, but I think I'll stick to Dew SA for the next few weeks for limited edition Pepsi flavors.)

Since it was still pretty early, I dressed the American Girl dolls for warmer weather when I got in. It turns out that Whitney does fit that Our Generation outfit Lauren gave me for Christmas (just barely). I'm not a fan of the Crocs that came with that outfit, so I added the fancy sandals from Jess' modern white formal dress instead. Sam's in (Rebecca's) Lace Dress and shoes. Molly got her birthday pinafore with the ruffled sleeves. Jessa's wearing (Ivy's) Rainbow Romper with the purple jelly sandals from her late-90's birthday outfit. Put Felicity in a white and blue cabbage rose-print gown I found at a doll clothes booth at the Deptford Mall one December. Josefina wears her lovely, hard-to-find Weaving Outfit and her beige moccasins.

Spent the next couple of hours at home, working on my story. Leia tends to Luke's wounds while Charles and Langdon drive the Falcon. Vader is on his ship the Death Star II, trying to take them down and get his son. Cedric thinks Rusty is crazy for wanting to fix Henry's experimental turbo engines...but he manages to do it just in time, blasting them out of sight.

Luke's worried about Vader going after them. Leia decides it's time to head home to Chalindria Court to figure out their next move. Besides, her aunt has to be worried sick by now. Langdon tosses his hat in, too. He can't go back, and he wants to settle the score with the Empire and make amends with Henry.

I also reapplied for food stamps. I've been putting it off because trying to get a hold of Camden County was such a pain back in February and March. I'll try again. I really need it.

Broke around quarter of 6. Made baked chicken with green beans sauteed in olive oil and turkey stock and a hot dog roll for dinner. Ran the first episode of The Flash while I ate. Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) is a forensic scientist for the Central City police department. He saw a flash of lightning as a child that killed his mother. No one believes him; his father (John Wesley Shipp) was arrested for the crime. One night, he too is struck by a strange lightning that makes him super-fast and gives him the ability to heal quickly and out-run time, among other powers. He's in a coma for 9 months after the lightning strike. Turns out a lot of people's lives changed that night, including an industrialist (Tom Cavanagh) who ended up wheelchair-bound. He and his assistants at STAR Labs want to test Barry's DNA and sell his regenerative powers. Barry, however, thinks he can be a force for good...and he gets his chance when he stops a thief previously believed dead who has the ability to call up killer wind storms.

Wow. Very impressive. Grant Gustin is an especially charismatic Barry. Can't wait to see where the rest of this goes...

Finished out the night with more Lego Clone Wars. An online tutorial at YouTube finally helped me get through that long round with Anakin and Obi-Wan chasing nasty Sith witch Asjji Ventress. That one got really complicated - you ended it by fighting her on her spider-like vehicle while it's falling to the ground! Although Jar Jar Binks was nominally the star of "Gungan General," the Clones were more useful in shooting vehicles to use to blow up power transmitters and rescue Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Dooku. Finally got to do a flying round for "Destroy the Malevolence," General Grievous' accurately-named ship. Kindly older Jedi Plo Koon got to target parts of the cyborg's massive war ship.

The third missions have opened. I'll probably return to Ventress and see where she takes me the next time I play.

No comments: