Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Beating the Heat

Began a much sunnier day with breakfast and another episode of She-Ra. Much like Han Solo, "The Sea Hawk" is originally only out for himself, delivering goods for the Horde and the Rebels. She-Ra gets him firmly on the Rebels side when he's forced to give up Adora to the Horde, then rescues her.

Did some writing for the next couple of hours. The day of the block party at Phineas Estate Park dawns sunny and beautiful. Leia, however, is not feeling as happy as she should. Not only does Hank still intend to leave as soon as the party's over, but Luke does, too. Uncle Ben got a hold of Yoda Yamagachi, who is willing to teach him a few things that'll make him a better surfer. Carl Rieekian, the owner of a local shoe store who also runs the Phineas Estate Museum and is on the City Council, assures her that he'll try to help.

As soon as I got off the computer, I rounded up my dirty clothes and headed to the laundromat. Thankfully after last week, the place was quiet the entire time I was there. I saw maybe two older men. I didn't have a huge load, anyway. I was in and out in a little over 40 minutes.

Went home, put my clothes and the clean dish towels from the kitchen away, then went right back out. It was late, past 2, but I still had some things to do. First stop was Friendly's for lunch. Needless to say that late in the day, they weren't busy. I only saw a few older people eating quick meals. I had a tasty Chicken Caeser Club Sandwich and fries, with cookies and cream ice cream and hot fudge sauce for dessert. The club was tasty, with maybe a little too much Caesar dressing (and not enough chicken and lettuce and tomatoes). Loved the bacon, though. They made it extra-crispy, just how I like it.

Next up was a very quick trip to Dollar Tree in the next building. All I needed was sponges. At least they weren't terribly busy, for once. I was in and out.

Volunteered at the Haddon Township Library for about an hour next. They only had a few DVDs to return, but I did shelve romance novels and audio books and CDs. Organized the kids' DVDs, too. They were surprisingly quiet for a day that was killer humid and in the lower 90's. Everyone must be on vacation.

I have movies at home to watch, but I did take out some books. They had the two most recent Joanne Fluke/Hannah Swenson mysteries, Fudge Brownie Murder and Wedding Cake Murder (Hannah herself apparently gets married in the latter). I also grabbed another Princess Academy story, as well as the final Anne of Green Gables novel, Rilla of Ingleside. (I wasn't that impressed with the previous book Rainbow Valley, but since I'm in the mood to finish up series at the moment, might as well do this one, too.)

Cut across Newton Lake Park going home. Despite the hazy sunshine, they were fairly quiet except for a few joggers and people out for a stroll. I took the cooler, shadier, narrower back path that butts up against houses. Had a nice walk through the woods, pushing my bike up a dirt path, past fields of wild Black-Eyed Susans, to the Haddon Township Environmental and Historical Commission. Stopped briefly at WaWa for a yummy Watermelon Perrier.

As soon as I got home, I dusted in my bedroom, completing the cleaning for this month. It needed to be done badly. I never got around to dusting last month because of vacation. The bedroom takes a while, too. That's where all my collections and books are stored. I have to dust under or around them.

Took a nice, long bath after I finished. Ahhh. This felt soooo wonderful after riding around on a hot day. I looked over Big Magic (on finding your creativity) and my two most recent Christmas With Southern Living finds and listened to one of my jazz CDs.

Continued the fourth season of Moonlighting as I ate Salisbury steak and cucumber-tomato salad for dinner. "Come Back, Little Shiska" has David dealing with the fallout from the season opener, while Maddie reconnects with her parents in Chicago. Meanwhile, we actually have a mystery this time. A rich man (John Goodman) wants David and Burt to find the woman he spent an amazing night with. The woman originally wants nothing to do with him, but nothing is as it seems. (Look for David's bizarre Will Vinton Claymation dream sequence.)

Ended the night with the 1987 Dragnet. This extremely odd spoof of the original 50's and 60's cop show has Dan Ackroyd playing the nephew of the original Joe Friday, Los Angeles' most by-the-book cop. His new partner (Tom Hanks) is anything but. The two are going to have to learn to work together if they intend to take down a cult that wants to take over the world. While Friday falls for the virgin the cult wants to sacrifice, his partner tries to figure out what the upstanding Reverend Worley (Christopher Plummer) is really up to.

Basically, this is "Dragnet if it were The Naked Gun." At the very least, it has a nice cast, including Harry Morgan as the duo's boss (moving up from his original role as Joe Friday's partner in the 60's show). If you're a fan of The Naked Gun movies, Ackroyd, Hanks in comedy mode, the original show, or goofy spoofs, you might have fun with this.

No comments: