Sunday, January 21, 2018

How Far They'll Go

Began a sort-of sunny morning late with Gingerbread Pancakes and the film soundtrack of Hairspray. As much as I like the original cast album, there's a couple of additional songs that make the movie version even better. I love Link's big number "Ladies' Choice" and the credits song "Come So Far (Got So Far to Go)." Plus, you will never likely see John Travolta and Christopher Walken make such a cute couple ever again.

Had time for a tiny bit of writing before work. Santa Claus' first announcement is that Snoke is officially under arrest. He annoints Rose Grumio the new Toymaker. She's not sure she can do it, but the others back her up, including Finn.

Got off to work at 1. Work was a total zoo when I got in. This is the first time in years that the Eagles have made it to the Championship game. A lot of people wanted to see if they'd be playing the Patriots or Jaguars, too. I spent my first hour and a good part of my last hour rounding up endless carts. In between, I gathered baskets, bagged, and put away many 12-packs of Coke. (We're having a 3 packs for $8 sale on Coke that clearly says you have to buy a pack of regular Dr. Pepper with the other two Coke products to get the sale. I knew the moment I saw the ad that a lot of people weren't going to read that correctly.)

Jodie called my phone twice while I was working. I picked them up as I was heading out the door. Did I want to come over to watch the game and have pizza? Sure! Why not? I rode right over from work.

Dad, Jodie, and Jessa were watching the tail end of the Jaguars-Patriots game when I arrived. The Jaguars started well, including getting a touchdown on a perfect catch during my break. They were still ahead by quarter after 5, but just barely. Alas, the Patriots got one final touchdown to win the Championship...again...24-20.

The pizza was late. Jodie said she asked for it to be there by 6:30. It still hadn't arrived by the time the game started at 6:40. By that point, Mark and Vanessa had arrived with a bowl of taco salad (which was basically salad with taco meat and Doritos - I declined the latter). Jodie called the pizza place they ordered from twice to give them an earful. It did finally show up by 7, by which time the Eagles and Vikings were tied at 7-7.

Jodie must have seen the four slices of mushroom, cheese, and pepperoni I ate. She mentioned that I really needed to lose weight. That's hard for me. I have tried, and tried, and tried, and tried again, and tried some more. Nothing ever works. I could try the new gym behind the Acme (where Staples used to be) and attempt to walk more. Giving up baked goods is hard, though. I genuinely like making them and eating them. And I'm too nervous to do it with other people. I'm afraid of what they'll say, or that I won't be able to keep up with them, or they'll say they want to do it, then not end up doing it after all. (Like Rose all but one of the times we were supposed to go to Yogawood together.)

It was getting late and dark. I finally went home at 7:30. Got in just in time to hear the end of the second quarter. Despite Dad's worries and fussing, the Vikings never scored again after that first touchdown. They never even got close. The Eagles dominated from the second quarter onwards, going on to win the NFC Championship 38-7.

Talk about your "fantasy football!" Last season, the Eagles didn't even make the playoffs. This season, we're in the Super Bowl. It's amazing what can happen in a year.

No comments: