Tuesday, January 16, 2018

What to Do Next

Got a quick, late start this morning with breakfast and Garfield Gets a Life. The famous fat cat tries to encourage his nerdy owner to get out more. Jon's so out of touch, he thinks disco is still the latest craze in the early 90's. He finally meets a nice girl at a class for the "socially impaired," but Garfield realizes that he's not ready for his owner to get married and tries not to let them get any closer.

Headed off to the laundromat shortly after the cartoon ended. The laundromat was very busy for quarter of noon, with at least four or five other people around. I just barely got a washer, though there were far more driers open. I worked on story notes and half-listened to Action News.

As soon as I got home, I put everything away as quickly as I could, then hurried back out again. It was quarter after 1, and I had counseling at 2:30. Not to mention, I wanted to eat first. At least it was a nice day for a ride to Haddonfield, sunny, windless, and in the lower 40's, normal for South Jersey in mid-January.

Came out a block from Amino Burrito and Juices, which was the quickest local place I could think of for lunch. Given it was past 2 by that point, they were pretty quiet. I downed a sweet and tasty "Simply Delicious" juice made of apples, lemons, carrots, and oranges, hearty blue corn chips, and a quick chicken and guacamole "petito" (ie, small burrito).

Locked my bike at the racks at CVS and walked the block to Mrs. Stahl's office. Even with the stop for lunch, I was still right on time. Though I did discuss my busy holidays, from the too-quiet Halloween to all the fun on Christmas Day, we mainly talked about the trouble I had at work over New Year's week. On one hand, no, I shouldn't have caused all that trouble with the managers...but I was at least calm when they talked to me about it. Plus, those two weeks were just crazy. The head bagger went on vacation. One bagger likely retired; another quit the day before Christmas Eve. Not to mention, there was the snowy and bitterly cold weather before and a few days after New Year's, as well as the last two Eagles games of the regular season. I've done a lot better since returning to regular hours and the weather improved.

I know something needs to change...but I have no idea where to start. I still want to find a better job, but every time I try, I get overwhelmed. I never get to the interview - I can't even get to sending my resume out. I look at the ads at sites like Monster.com and see all the experience these jobs require and all the skills they want that I don't have.

Retail and the food industry are obviously not for me - but what is right for me? I don't have the money to return to college, either. I know how much it costs and how much time it takes. Amanda's being sucked dry by it. I want something that doesn't require more sitting in a classroom. I just wish I knew what that was.

Mrs. Stahl said "look up various jobs that interest you online," and of course "keep writing."

It was 3:30 by the time I got out of there. The wind had picked up, and clouds were starting to roll in. Not to mention, it was nearly rush hour. It was time for me to go home. I took the back roads through Haddonfield down to Crystal Lake Road, and then up Cuthbert to the White Horse Pike. I wanted to stop at Dollar General really quick. While their prices on butter weren't any better than the Acme's, they did have cheaper eggs, muffin papers, and cake mix. Also grabbed a birthday card for my niece Lilah (her birthday is tomorrow).

Worked on writing for a while when I got in. BB cries in disappointment when none of her begging will budge Luke the Toymaker from his office. She runs out...only to run into Kylo Ren. He grabs her and takes her under his arm. While Finn and Rosie escaped, the trolls have Poe and Han. Ren plans on bringing them to his and Snoke's wedding, even taunting Han about his giving the brides away.

Broke at 7 to make Tex-Mex Black Bean Dip with blue corn chips for dinner. Watched Colossal as I worked, and later as I went online. Gloria (Anne Hathaway) is not having an easy time. Her boyfriend Tim (Dan Stevens) threw her out when she can't get a job due to her alcohol problems. She ends up moving back to her hometown, but she has no money for furniture. She thinks things have turned around when her old guy friend Oscar (Jason Sudeikis) offers her a job at his bar and even gives her furniture. Then, however, they see footage of a huge monster and a giant robot attacking South Korea. To Gloria's shock, she discovers that she can control the creature and Oscar the robot when they stand at a certain spot in their local playground. Unfortunately, Oscar becomes literally and figuratively drunk with the power he has over the people of Seoul and finally reveals his true control freak nature. Now Gloria has to figure out how to get out from under his thumb, without harming anyone else in the process...including herself.

This was one of the strangest and most original sci-fi films I've seen in years. Hathaway and Sudeikis were excellent as the woman who thinks she's turning her life around...and the man who insists on being the one in charge of everything around him, whether he should or not. The odd premise alone and some harrowing scenes of abuse towards the end makes this not for everyone, but if you like black comedy or unusual sci-fi, this one is worth tracking down.

No comments: