Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Against the Wind

Began a blustery day with work. Needless to say, given today was the day before Thanksgiving, we were on-and-off busy for the entire morning. They tried to get me in the register right when I came in, but I was the only bagger at that point. Someone had to gather carts. As it turned out, I would be the only bagger who got outside. I saw the other bagger who came in later maybe twice; I suspect he probably did end up in a register. At least I worked up an appetite for tomorrow, and most people were friendly and still in good moods. Not to mention, while it was gale-force windy, it was also sunny, or partly cloudy at worst, and not too cold when you could get away from the wind.

As soon as I got home, I changed, had a snack, grabbed my DVDs, and went right back out. Despite my aching knees and the traffic on Cuthbert Road, I wanted to get to the Haddon Township Library. Unlike the Acme, they were super quiet when I arrived. It looked like they must have had people shelve DVDs earlier. I put away the few that were there. Didn't take out any movies this week - I have plenty to watch for the holidays - but I did pick up the holiday episodes for Elena of Avalor, How to Train Your Dragon, Sean the Sheep, and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.

The clouds were gathering, even as I jumped on my bike to head home. Thankfully, they don't seem to have done much besides look menacing at press time. The wind is still howling out there, though. No wonder they say it's going to be literally freezing tomorrow.

As soon as I got home, I swept the porch. It's not that bad, but it was starting to come in the door. Besides, it's a lot easier for me to sweep it now than it used to be. There's an opening on the bottom of the new railings that allow me to push the leaves through.

Warmed things up with a little writing when I got in. Anakin arrives at his mother and stepfather's farm just in time for her to die in his arms. As the Ghost reminds him, he was never the same after that. He and Padme do end up marrying each other, and they're happy for  time...until Sheev Marley starts to look at him as partner material...

Switched to the holiday episodes of Elena of Avalor as I had leftovers for dinner. I specifically began with Elena because the first episode revolves around The Day of the Dead, which was a couple of weeks ago. "A Celebration to Remember" has Elena discovering that she can see ghosts on the Day of the Dead. She's able to help the spirit of an older woman bring together her feuding adult grandchildren and show them how to save her beloved restaurant, in time to join her own family in celebrating those loved ones who have passed on.

Everyone in town wants Elena and her family to join them for their traditional "Navidad" customs. Elena can't decide what to do and lets Dona Paloma talk her into first holding a party to show off everyone's customs, then a parade. Dona Paloma sets everyone against each other when she tries to get them to buy more at her shop. Elena, however, knows that Christmas is about a lot more than presents and customs - it's about the people we share it with.

The handsome Victor Delgado and his daughter Carmen are welcomed to the castle in time for their big Carnival celebration. Esteban badly wants to be "King of the Carnival," but thinks he's not worthy. Victor holds a major secret over Esteban and uses it to force him to help  him and Carmen steal Elena's tiara. He does make amends, though, and it's he and Elena who figure out how to use their Carnival float to stop the two wily thieves.

Moved on to Planes, Trains, and Automobiles as I went online. Ad executive Neil Page (Steve Martin) is not having a good couple of days. He bounces from plane to pickup truck to train to bus to car in an attempt to get from Wichita to Chicago for Thanksgiving. On the way, he keeps encountering Del Griffith (John Candy), a very nice shower curtain ring salesman who also happens to be a chatty mass of bad habits. As they travel across the frozen midwestern landscape, Neil learns more about why Del is on the road...and realizes how much he has to be thankful for.

Classic comedy gets a little sentimental for its britches towards the end, but is a requirement if you're a fan of Martin, Candy, or director John Hughes. It's some of their best work.

Here's some more vintage Thanksgiving specials on YouTube to tide you over while you wait for dinner tomorrow:

Animated Hero Classics: William Bradford
The Turkey Caper
Saturday Supercade: Q-Bert - Thanksgiving for the Memories
Care Bears Family: Gram Bear's Thanksgiving Surprise
Rankin-Bass: The Mouse on the Mayflower 
Calvin and the Colonel: Thanksgiving Dinner (B&W)
Looney Tunes: Tom Turk and Daffy
Tex Avery at MGM: Jerky Turkey
Nickelodeon's Thanksgiving Fest 1989
The Bernstein Bears Meet Big Paw

For those of you who won't be online tomorrow, I hope you have a safe, happy, and full Thanksgiving with all the people you love!

No comments: