Sunday, January 06, 2019

Shining Stars

Started off the morning with my first pancake breakfast of 2019. I had a pear that was getting soft, so I made Pear Spice Pancakes. They came out very well, soft and sweet...and I didn't burn them this time. Had them with the last of the Cranberry Flummery.

Rose called me shortly before breakfast. First of all, she pretty much confirmed what she said before and what Lauren said. She'll try to fight the raised rent...but I'd be better off just finding another place. Willa is not going to stop raising the rent. It isn't worth it for three rooms (one unheated) and a bathroom. That sliver of a kitchen is so small, it doesn't qualify as it's own room. 

The trouble is, I only got this place last time because I rented it from a friend of my uncle's. The friend and my uncle passed away in 2012. I was really hoping I'd be able to find another little studio or one-bedroom place attached to someone's house. I have no friends or family I can move in with. Dad-Bruce isn't going to last much longer, and I suspect Jodie may not be able to afford to keep the house, whether Jesse and Dana stay or not.

Shortly after I talked to Rose, I headed off to the laundromat to finally get that done. They were busier than they were on Sunday last week, but still not so bad that I couldn't get my small load done quickly. I was in and out in less than an hour.

When I got home, I went right into putting everything away. There wasn't enough time left to work on fanfic, but I did go through a few more things in the back room and dressed the Cabbage Patch dolls in their regular clothes. Carrie got her yellow dress with the pink and green ribbon trim; Dulcie went in her original blue and white gingham dress. Had a quick yogurt-and-banana lunch after I finished there. Listened to that Reader's Digest Lerner & Loewe CD Lauren gave me last September while I worked. Most of the songs are instrumental orchestra recordings or singers with an orchestra. Though Richard Harris' Camelot numbers are in this vein, he has the advantage of actually having starred in that show, both in it's 1967 film version and in a short-lived Broadway revival in the 1980's.

Switched to the Mary Martin Peter Pan Broadway cast album. while having yogurt and a banana for lunch. Since I did the Disney Peter Pan yesterday, I figured it made sense to run this one, too. (In fact, it debuted on Broadway less than a year after the Disney movie came out.) It has the advantage of sticking more closely to the book and play than the cartoon did, including the Lost Boys building Wendy a house, the kids being given poisoned cake by Hook (which Wendy throws away), and all of the kids but Peter going home to the Darling house, not just Wendy, John, and Michael. "I Won't Grow Up" and "Never Never Land" are probably the best-known numbers here. Other good songs include Peter's manifesto "I Gotta Crow" and his sad lullaby "Distant Melody." 

Work was crazy when I arrived. I went outside to do carts immediately. The carts kept vanishing, no matter how many the other bagger and I brought to the patio. It slowed down enough by the second half of my shift for me to do the overloaded outside trash and recycling canisters, but it never died out completely, even after the game started. A lot of people are probably restocking after the holidays, and they may have been out to enjoy the nice day. By 2 PM, the sun was out, and while it was gale-force windy, it was also in the lower 50's, relatively warm for this time of year.

Went straight to Dad and Jodie's from work. The Eagles and Bears didn't really do a whole lot during the first half of the game. The Bears were up slightly 6-3 when I arrived. Jodie gave me rolls and let me set up my own ham and Italian hoagies, along with chips, chocolate donuts, and chocolate chip cookies Rose made. This time, it was just her, me, Dad, Mark, and Jessa. Rose had been around with Finley earlier, but she had to pick up Khai from a friend's house, and he has school tomorrow. 

Things started turning around shortly after I rolled in. The Eagles finally got a touchdown that pulled them ahead. The Bears turned around and got another one, but they missed the two-point conversion. The Eagles did the same after their touchdown. The Bears managed to get close enough for a field goal in the final seconds of the game...but their kicker missed the goal! It hit the goal post! The Eagles won by one point, 16-15. Talk about your nail-biter games. I don't think I breathed in those final moments.

Hit the shower as soon as I got home. When I finished, I celebrated online with two dance albums. Earth, Wind, and Fire's Greatest Hits Vol. 1 features some of my favorite numbers from them, including "Singasong," "September," "Shining Star," and their version of "Got to Get You Into My Life." Moved to another greatest hits collection, Donna Summer's On the Radio. Good ones from this two-disc set include the title number, "I Remember Yesterday," "Bad Girls," "Hot Stuff," "Last Dance," and "MacArthur Park." 

No comments: