Saturday, September 26, 2020

Rainy Day Harvest

Began the morning with a late breakfast and the 2003 Strawberry Shortcake. Strawberry invites the whole gang on a camping trip in the woods. Most of the kids look forward to it, but Ginger Snap is afraid of the dark. She desperately tries to avoid it, then brings as many flashlights as she can. It becomes "Ginger Snap's Night of No Fright" when she goes looking for her lights in the middle of the dark woods. They allow her to shed some light on her fears...and reveal that what scares her isn't really anything to be afraid of.

Switched to Split Second while getting ready to run errands. Once again, we had two women and a man, and once again, the women completely dominated the show. The lady who one wasn't as lucky as some other people I saw on the show last week and chose money on the prize boards. She opted to return and try for the car again.

Made my way out as the show ended. This is the first time in weeks I've been able to get to the Collingswood Farm Market...but first, I wanted to check out a yard sale. Boy, was that a mistake. It was just piles of junk thrown into old baskets. They had nicer dishes on a table inside, but the kitchen floor was crusted with dirt, and the place was dirty and spooky. I dashed out in a hurry.

Besides, I wanted to get to the Farm Market before it closed. Despite the late hour and the humid and cloudy morning, they were as busy as anyone's allowed to get right now. They even had live music again. I got there so late, the mushroom seller sold out, but I was able to buy other seasonal items. 

Peaches, plums, cucumbers, and New Jersey blueberries are gone, but I saw some of the first pumpkins, sweet potatoes, and winter squash of the year. Picked up tiny apples, a lavender-striped eggplant, a zucchini, sweet potatoes, cherry tomatoes, sweet peppers in many colors, and this year's pumpkin for the house. I always buy a medium or "pie" pumpkin in late September-early October and keep it out until after Thanksgiving or it goes bad, whichever comes first. I never carve my pumpkin - I'd probably end up carving me! Besides, I like having it out for the entire fall. 

Stopped at WaWa next for a treat. I love their banana smoothies. They use real bananas, and it tastes marvelous, creamy and sweet. Went with their Bananas Foster (caramel) Smoothie. Picked up Mountain Dew's Halloween limited edition soda flavor VooDew to drink later. (Incidentally, the VooDew was...ok. Tasted like liquid Skittles. Mountain Dew in general is usually too sweet for me, but I'm glad I tried this one once.)

Took the long way back to Oaklyn across Newton Lake Park. That may have been a mistake. It showered lightly while I was buying produce at the Farm Market, but picked up by the time I hit the park. I was quite wet when I rolled into the parking lot at CVS. I was hoping to buy dishwashing liquid there, but there was none on sale. Ended up with more brush picks and a can of low-salt cashews.

Threw on Match Game when I got home and ate a very quick lunch. This was an episode from earlier in the week featuring Jimmie Walker, ever-laughing Kaye Stevens, and one of Charles' strangest answers. When asked what an old gypsy woman looks into besides a Crystal Ball, his reply was "Cherry." Even he looked a bit mystified at that one. Brett gave him a good smack; Richard just gave him strange looks.

Went down for a nap after I got off at around 2. I'm dead tired. This is the first day I've had off since last Wednesday. Jodie may be utterly delighted I'm working so much, but neither she nor Rose have ever worked retail. They don't know how exhausting it is. Had a solid sleep until around 4, then read The Matchless Gene Rayburn for a half-hour. 

Worked on writing as well as I could, given how worn out I am. Charles finally gets everyone singing, even as Della and Nipsey join Elaine and Bobby in holding onto Malade's fur. Betty's too upset over her friend the frog being knocked unconscious to join them...but they may need her help if they're all going to get rid of this menace...

Broke for dinner at quarter of 7. I had a hard time finding what I wanted for review, so I just ended up watching cartoons as I made baked crusted salmon with steamed broccoli and spiced sweet potato chips for dinner. The Cat In the Hat Knows a Lot About That did three Halloween episodes during its run. "Trick or Treat" from late in the first season is the third and last. The kids are ready to go trick-or-treating, but they'd like to learn some real tricks to get treats. The Cat introduces them to a spider monkey, a coconut crab, and a fruit bat to learn how they get their favorite treats. Nick thinks fighting a dragon would be more exciting than taking care of a child. "King Cecil the Seahorse" teaches him otherwise when he and the Cat take the kids across the ocean to find the perfect place for him to hatch his babies.

Switched to Muppet Babies as I cleaned up from dinner. Rizzo claims it's "Finders Keepers" when he unearths what he thinks are emeralds in the sandbox. The kids convince him that it's better to give something that isn't yours back than keep it. They end up spoofing Indiana Jones-style adventures as they dodge mummies Statler and Waldorf to return the treasure (and try to keep Rizzo from taking more). When Gonzo's friend Potato (an actual potato) lands in the yard next-door, the kids are convinced there's a scary monster over there who wants to eat him. They do everything they can to avoid the monster and rescue the spud...but it's Nanny who eventually reveals that the "Monster Next Door" isn't as scary as he looks.

Finished the night online with the 1987 Snow White. I honor the late Diana Rigg with her performance as the Evil Queen from the Cannon Movie Tales version of this beloved story. 

Family Fun Saturday - Snow White (1987)

Oh, and the rain stopped shortly after I got home. The clouds have been in and out since then, but I don't think it's rained again. 

No comments: