Thursday, March 30, 2023

Beat the Springtime Blues

Got a quick start this morning with breakfast and reading The Secret Garden. I didn't have time for much else. I needed to get to Collingswood for my physical check-up. Called Uber, who thankfully arrived in a short three minutes. It was barely three or four minutes before I arrived.

I got such a slow start that I was still slightly late. No matter. I was the only person in the waiting room. It had been totally remodeled since the last time I was at Collingswood Family Medicine. There were new vinyl leather-like chairs and shiny hardwood floor...and despite there being a shelf, no magazines whatsoever. Thankfully, it only took about ten minutes for Dr. Jessica to come for me.

Long story short, my main problems at the moment are depression and a troublesome thyroid. Dr. Jessica thoroughly checked my ankle. She said it was good enough for me to ride the bike now, but I'd need physical therapy for it. I also need to go back to South Jersey Radiology and have that thyroid looked at again. 

The depression is going to be harder to deal with. I'd rather do it without medication. I'm thinking of trying yoga again. I stopped due to a lack of time and money. Classes got expensive. They were a really big help, though, and it might be good to get around other people. She suggested library volunteering, but the Oaklyn Library closed last year, and the county libraries suspended their volunteer program during the pandemic and never started it up again. Maybe I could talk to the Collingswood Library, now that I live closer to them.

The appointment took almost an hour. It was quarter of 1 by the time I headed down Collings Avenue to Haddon for lunch. Ended up at Sabrina's Cafe, which was surprisingly not that busy, despite it being just past lunch hour. I had an iced tea and tried their "five grain breakfast bowl." It turned out to be roasted vegetables with ancient grains like quinoa, topped with two fried eggs, and it was delicious, earthy and chewy, with a very yellow, runny yolk. Unlike their pancakes, it wasn't too much to eat, either. I finished it with no trouble.

Strolled down Haddon to Innergroove Records. I hadn't visited them in a while. They were also quiet. A few people came and went, but for the most part, the owner and I had the place to ourselves. It took me nearly a hour and a half of searching through all the $1 record cubes and the titles that interested me, but I came up with:

Believe In Music (K-Tel collection from 1972)

The original Broadway cast album for Jennie, a vehicle for Mary Martin from 1963

Peggy Lee - Sugar n' Spice

Stan Kenton and His Orchestra - Stan Kenton Today, a live album recorded in London

A Happy Birthday With Winnie the Pooh Disney story album

The soundtrack for Who Framed Roger Rabbit, in its original plastic. This one cost me $19.99, but when am I going to find something like this again, and sealed? (The others came out of the dollar bins.)

Made one last stop at the bank to get money for my rent. Was able to use the inside ATM this time. Went in, did what I needed to do, went out. 

This time, I walked home. It was too nice to do Uber again anyway. There couldn't be a more gorgeous day in early spring. The golden sun was warm on my back, but it was neither too hot for the time of year, nor too cold. The park is really blooming now. Flowers blossom on trees and in gardens. Buttercups line the banks of the creek; every yard sports cheery yellow daffodils and jonquils. 

Pumped my tires when I got home, then went straight upstairs and did my monthly cleaning. Needed to vacuum and Swifter the floors, and I really badly needed to dust. The bedroom in particular gets horribly dusty, maybe because it's closer to the window. Wiped down the windows and electronics, too. 

Listened to my new K-Tel album while I ate. Believe In Music is the oldest of my K-Tel collections, and it sounds it. I thought songs like "Hold Your Head Up" by Argent and "Long Cool Woman" by the Hollies were from the late 60's. Other familiar numbers here include "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" by Cher, "Let It Rain" by Eric Clapton, "Sealed With a Kiss" by Bobby Vinton, "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart, "Brandy, You're a Fine Girl" by Looking Glass, and "Beautiful Sunday" by Daniel Boone. 

Did some writing after that. Marcia scolds Richard for not getting in faster, but he promises to do better next time. He got lost. Those maps gave him an idea, though...one that he keeps thinking about, even as he hits the sack in his new home...

It was 7:30 before I broke for dinner. Watched Match Game Syndicated while I ate. This was the start of that hilarious week where Joyce Bulifant wore wigs to make her look different from the other ditzy blonde on the show, Elaine Joyce. Her huge bright orange Afro wig inspired more than a few "Little Orphan Annie" jokes. It was also the first episode to feature Ginger, the perky contestant with the very, very unique answers, like the one she gave for what an athletic caterpillar buys. 

Finished the night online after a shower with Sweet Rosie O'Grady. I go further into this 1943 vehicle for Betty Grable set in the 1880's at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 

No comments: