Thursday, October 05, 2023

Bad Day of the Matches

Began the morning with breakfast and PAW Patrol on Paramount Plus. The "Pups Save a Ghost," or what they think is a ghost, when a spooked Rubble spies something wispy and white wandering around. The pups find themselves chasing the apparition in the middle of the night to find out just what this supposed spirit is. The pups are excited to be putting on a play about King Arthur and the Pups of the Round Table. Chase, their Arthur, comes down with a cold after rescuing Cap'n Turnbot from the castle set that flattens him. The pups talk a shy Marshall into taking his place in "Pups Save a Show." 

Poked around Indeed for jobs. It's the same trouble I've had for years. Either everything needs more experience than I have, or it requires skills I don't have. I need to find something so badly! I have to get out of the Acme, but nothing seems right for me. And I did hear from the Camden County Library System...and yeah, they turned me down. I would have turned the job down anyway, but it's still disappointing. I guess I didn't give as good of an interview as I thought.

Put on Balalaika after I got fed up with Indeed. I go further into this robust Russian operetta melodrama featuring Nelson Eddy as a Cossack prince who falls for a singer at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Had lunch while watching Tattletales. I came in mid-way through an episode with Scoey Mitchilll and his wife Claire, Hal Linden and his very funny wife Fran, and songwriter Sammy Cahn and his wife Tita. Considering all three couples stayed together pretty much their entire lives (Claire was with Scoey until he passed away last year; Hal and Fran were together until her death in 2010), everyone had decent answers. Scoey and Claire wound up pulling ahead mid-way through and were the big winners.

Headed out to work after that. I seriously regret it. Work was nothing short of a complete pain in the rear the entire evening. People were obnoxious. People were rude. One woman threw a fit when her order came up to over $110. She bought two 8-packs of soda and several large steaks, none of which is cheap. At least two couples had cards that didn't work and had to be moved so they could be dealt with. Families let their children scream, cry, and chase each other up and down the aisles with no regard for anyone around them. An older woman made her brother clean the sticky spots on the register, then proceeded to yell at him about not doing this and that right. She did praise me, but I would have taken her compliments more seriously if she was nicer to her brother.

Two young men came into my line five times, trying to use their debit cards to get money back. One guy's card was so frayed, it wouldn't go through. The other had a card that worked, but kept saying there was no money on it. They also kept trying to flirt outrageously with me and yammered about politics to anyone in line who wouldn't listen. Despite what one claimed, they weren't being "people." They were being annoying. 

And of course, I learned that I was missing money in the till, and it was worse last week. I'm having a hard time concentrating and trying to keep up with all this. I just keep getting into trouble. And that was on top of there being no help at all today other than express and self-checkout. I had to handle long lines alone the entire time. 

I rode home in tears. Rode around the neighborhood, trying to calm down. At least it was a much cooler night. There was a strong, chilly wind as I made my way down East Haddon Avenue and around to East Clinton. Several houses in the neighborhood are already decorated for Halloween, with plastic jack-o-lanterns hanging off tree branches, orange and purple lights wound around porch ralings, and miniature cemeteries planted on front lawns. 

Had dinner while watching Match Game '79 when I got home. Dick and Dolly Martin played together for the first time this week, joined by Nipsey Russell and Patti Deusch. Dick had the best answer to a question about where the doors for a cheap sedan ended up being. The others help the contestant with "We've Got __" in the Audience Match.

Finished up the night with more Match Game to try to make myself feel better. Started with the first episode of the week Buzzr's currently running. The winning contestant got so excited, she dragged Gene around the studio! He dove behind the question holder while Nipsey Russell ran out and gave her a squeeze! "If you won't take advantage of that jumping," Nipsey insisted, "then I will!"

Did three classic nighttime episodes next. In the first, Richard gives an answer to "Burns and __" on the Audience Match that Gene doesn't think will be on the board. Naturally, Richard is right. The second has Richard and Charles sporting wide-brimmed chapeaus as "Your Basic Big Picture Hat Society." The episode ends with Richard using his hat to hide a kiss between him and the contestant! In the third episode, everyone salutes a handsome Scottish officer in full regalia. 

Finished the night with an episode of Match Game '75. There's a really cute gag early-on here. Charles tells Gene "this ticket booth is closed" and gives him one of the blue cards. Gene ends up giving it to cue card boy and producer Roger Dobowitz. We had an ugly audience in this one, too. They booed almost every answer, including good ones and ones that matched. 

No comments: