Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Into the Sunshine

Slept in this morning. It was noon before I got rolling with breakfast and Match Game '77. In the middle of the first episode, Scoey Mitchilll leaves the stage to go to the bathroom...and comes back riding the stage for the Audience Match. The second episode featured a question about who would give Richard an obscene phone call, and some very amusing answers. 

Headed out after the second episode. I had a lot I wanted to do today, this time behind the Acme at the Audubon Crossings Shopping Center. Started off at Goodwill. After I dropped a small donation in the back, I rode around front and checked out the main store. I found a copy of the first three Wallace & Gromit shorts, a folksy and heavy wooden pumpkin, flat cat in a pumpkin and skeleton wood stand-ups with cartoony artwork, and a long-sleeved blouse with a pretty brown floral print. (The last-named was half-price, which is really the only reason I bought it.) 

Peeked around Five Below next, but they didn't have much for Halloween. They mainly seem to specialize in candy, makeup palates, and wigs. I tend to do better there at Christmas when I'm shopping for the kids.

Hiked across the parking lot next to Great Cuts. I badly needed my hair done. It gets frizzy and hard to deal with when it's too long. 2:30 was the perfect time to go, too. There was only one other person there, and I had no wait. Got it cut and layered to my shoulders. It looks so much better! Much curlier and bouncier. Paid and tipped the lady and was in and out in 20 minutes.

Tu Se Bella's Pizza is a few doors down from Great Cuts. They weren't busy at almost 3, either. In fact, the only people I saw at the tables were the employees taking a break. I got my slice of cheese, slice of spinach, tomato, and shrimp, and bottle of Diet Pepsi in no time. Enjoyed the area's best pizza while people watching at the table near the window.

Went to Lane Bryant on the other side of the shopping center after lunch. I needed new non-wired bras. The ones I picked up from Blackwood last year were starting to get discolored. They were totally dead when I came in. Fortunately, it turns out they were buy one, get one seventy-five percent off, which brought them to $23 each. I walked in, found the same kinds I already had, bought them, and walked out. 

Normally, I try to avoid our tiny Walmart like the plague, but they do have a decent seasonal section. In addition to picking up apricot spread on clearance and boxes of Black Cherry and Orange Raspberry Propel mix, I found an adult red velvet cape for $10. I was debating whether to be a fairy or Little Red Riding Hood this year. I finally decided Little Red's cape would be easier to deal with if the weather turns bad than fairy wings.

Took the long way there and back past the soccer and baseball fields in Audubon, down Market Street, and over the train bridge into Oaklyn. It was too nice of a day not to. Slightly warmer, but nothing out of line for mid-October, in the mid-60's, sunny and breezy. I must have just missed the rush hour traffic. The White Horse Pike wasn't bad when I crossed where the WaWa used to be. I just missed the train coming here, too.

Went straight upstairs when I got home and into job hunting. I need to figure out what industries I can actually work for. Every time I think of something, like book publishing or editing, people leave comments or write or tell me "don't do that, you'll never get that, that's too hard to get into, you're not good enough for that." Would someone tell me what jobs I could do that aren't too competitive? I don't think there are any jobs that aren't too competitive. Everyone wants a decent job. 

Tried to work on writing after that. Richard explains that he was driven out of Televisia City by the Warlock of the West after he invaded. He'd been a guard to Queen Bretta, but beyond that, he knows very little. His memory was largely erased when he was rebuilt as a tin man.

Broke for dinner at 7. Ate leftovers while watching Match Game '79. Started out with some noisy answers to "Cheer __" in the Audience Match. A later answer prompts arguments from Bob Barker and Joyce Bulifant on whether or not "cannon" has three ns or two. The second one kicks off with Brianne doing a rather impressive cartwheel.

Moved on Kanopy after that for Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter. I'm not the biggest horror fan in the world, but I couldn't resist a horror swashbuckler. Kronos (Horst Janson) is a former Army soldier who now travels around the British countryside with his humpbacked companion Professor Hieronymus Grost (John Cater) tracking down vampires. One such town has been plagued by the death of young girls who are found severely aged before they die. Grost explains that this is the work of a vampire who drains youth from its victims. They're joined by the beautiful gypsy wench Carla (Caroline Munro), whom Kronos rescues from the stocks on his way to town. 

Kronos is initially called to town by his friend Dr. Marcus (John Carson) to figure out what's going on with the vampires. A witness whose sweetheart was drained claims he saw someone very old attacking her. Kronos has a lot more to deal with than Grost's theory being questioned. Marcus introduces his friends Paul (Shane Bryant) and Sara (Lois Daine) Durwood and their aged and ill mother Lady Durwood (Wanda Ventham). The Durwoods are mourning the loss of their father and husband 7 years before, but Kronos suspects there may be more to them than meets the eye. Especially after Marcus is attacked and turned into a vampire, and the villagers blame him for it. Now he has to find a way to deal with the Durwoods and their chain of brutal killings, before they attack another innocent girl.

Too bad this was one of the last Hammer horror movies and they were never able to continue the series as planned. While it's slow-moving, violent, bloody, and a bit on the cheap side, it's also fascinating. The vampire-elimination rituals are cool to watch, and you just don't often see sword fights and duels in a historical horror film. Some decent performances, too, especially from Carson as the infected Marcus and Cater as Grost. I found this a bit too bloody for my taste to repeat, but it was interesting enough that I'm glad I gave it a try.

Finished the night at Tubi with the Halloween episode of Silver Spoons. It's "A Dark and Stormy Night," and the power went out as Ricky and his friends Freddy and Alfonso were watching a horror movie. Ricky's dad Edward encourages them to tell a round-robin ghost story instead and use their own imaginations. The quartet comes up with the bizarre tale of four boys trapped in the mansion by a beautiful lady (Kate), a mad scientist (Edward), his super-polite creation Franken-Stuffins (Dexter), and a giant frog. 

No comments: