Thursday, August 25, 2011

Earth-Bound Balance

Despite the cloudy and humid weather, I did make it to yoga this time. Tuesday's earthquake got Karin thinking of our relationship to the earth and the ground and how it influences us. We concentrated on back and leg movements, including a few bow-pose variations that really taxed my still-sore knee joints.

My stop at the Collingswood Library afterwards was a fast one. For one thing, there wasn't much to do. I organized the DVDs (the kids' section looked awful) and shelved a small stack. The clouds were getting worse by this point, too, and the humidity was thick enough to cut a knife through. I was barely there a half-hour before heading out.

It was showering lightly when I unlocked my bike. The shower picked up after a quick stop at WaWa for milk and a small turkey hoagie. Though I tried to wait out the rain under awnings and trees, I finally got bored. I rode straight home and got wet.

It would rain and occasionally thunder on and off for the rest of the day. Needless to say, I went nowhere else. I probably wouldn't have, even if Mother Nature was in a better mood. I had cleaning to do, my legs and feet are still sore from the weather and the last few weeks of work, and I wanted to continue my Video to DVD Project.

Ran New Moon, the last MacDonald/Eddy operetta I'm dubbing, while I ate my hoagie and then as I gave the bathroom a desperately-needed scrubbing. New Moon puts the duo back in Naughty Marietta territory. He's a scandalized Duke who was sent to Louisiana as a bondservant, she's the noblewoman who buys him. Their roles are reversed when the ship they're both sailing on crashes on an uncharted island. Feisty Jeanette has no interest in marrying anyone, especially an idealistic nobleman...but when too many men in the colony try to woo her, will she have a choice? And what will the entire colony do when the French finally appear?

For once, Nelson seems more comfortable than Jeanette does. They both have a great deal of witty banter, especially once they get to the island. Their forced marriage ceremony is hilarious - "Smile." "I am smiling." "Pardon me. I wouldn't have known."

Went into pure action as I cleaned the kitchen and baked Old-Fashioned Ginger Cookies. Romancing the Stone is a long-time favorite of mine. A romance novelist goes after her sister in the jungles of Columbia. She's helped on the way by a roguish mercenary and chased by a bumbling thief and a local dictator. I discussed this classic back in February for Valentine's Day, and I'm glad I was able to move it.

Finished the night with two of the earliest James Bond films as I had salmon in White Wine-Lemon Sauce, sauteed zucchini, and Marinated Red Potatoes and Tomatoes for dinner. Dr. No is the first "canon" Bond film and introduced the series and Sean Connery as Bond. Goldfinger is my favorite Connery Bond film - Connery pursues the gold-obsessed title character, who wants to attack the gold at Fort Knox.

No comments: