Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Miss Redmer and the Hair Day Adventures

Started out another beautiful, comfortable morning with a few Sailor Moon episodes related to vacations and to hair salons, all from the first season. "Nightmare In Dreamland" takes Amy, Serena, and Raye to an amusement park that turns out to not be much fun when it's discovered to be a Negaverse hide out. Raye wins tickets on the hot new ocean liner and invites Amy in "Cruise Blues," but it's Serena who bites off more than she can chew when she tags along. Mina tries to make Serena feel better about losing Darien to the Negaverse in "Bad Hair Day," but the cure may be worse than the sickness when the hair salon the girls try out ends up being part of an evil plot to capture the Silver Crystal. And in "Last Resort," Serena finds herself protecting her family from the evil spirit trapped in a lake...but can she do it without giving herself away?

Headed out after the last episode ended. I had a LOT to do today! The first stop was the Haddon Township Library. I shelved a few DVDs and books, but I mainly wanted to donate videos. I'm giving the Haddon Township Library half of my videos. The Oaklyn Library gets the other half for their Book Sale and Flea Market. (I'm also retaining some children's videos to give to my cousin Samantha's family.)

Since I had to go to Collingswood, I stopped at the Westmont Acme instead of the Super Fresh, as it's on the way. I needed vinegar and maple syrup, and I also picked up Drano. The bathroom sink has been clogged something horrible for almost a week now, and the usual vinegar and baking soda wasn't working. I've been doing my hair in there because the fan in my bedroom is blocking the full-length mirror. I think it's time to stop doing that. I suspect that the sink is jammed full of hair.

My next stop was a very quick run into the Collingswood Post Office to send off Lauren's DVDs. I dubbed her some things that I thought she'd like, along with two movies she wanted and didn't have. It's the least I can do for her, after everything she's dubbed for me over the past seven years or so.

I had planned on going to Haddon Hair Designs in Collingswood next to get my hair layered and trimmed. When I arrived there, though, they were closed and dark. I peered into the large windows, and noticed that most of the shelves, dryers, and salon chairs were gone. Sigh. I had no idea they went out of business. No one said anything about it. I didn't even notice, and they're a block away from the Collingswood Library.

I ended up strolling a few more blocks to the new Hair Cuttery that just opened in the empty space between WaWa and Rite Aid. I used to go to the Hair Cuttery in North Cape May when I lived there. This is the first Hair Cuttery to open near my current apartment. The girl who did my hair, Holly, was very sweet. She did a nice job. I just needed to get it layered and trimmed, as usual. It's been annoyingly frizzy all summer. Since I was there, I made a quick stop at Rite Aid for clips and pot scrubbers, too.

I was going to go out to lunch, but it was so lovely outside, it seemed a shame to waste the weather. I bought a turkey and Swiss 4-inch hoagie at WaWa and ate it in Newton River Park, near the playground. I wasn't the only person who wanted to take advantage of Mother Nature's good mood. A gaggle of boys played softball. A family with small children ran around the tree while the kids squealed over bugs and tumbled in the grass. Kids rode their bikes. Adults walked dogs and strolled together.

Made one more quick stop at CVS for Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner (Rite Aid actually had a better price, but they don't carry the curl formula I like), then rode home. I spent the next few hours sweeping the hurricane debris off the porch, then online. American Girl not only officially released their new historical dolls Marie-Grace and Cecile today, they also put out several new modern dolls and doll outfits and a mini-Ivy. My Mini-Julie can finally have her best friend!

But the beautiful day beckoned. I went for a short walk around the neighborhood around 5:30. Stopped at Leo's Yum-Yums for cherry vanilla water ice, then just walked in the neighborhood behind West Clinton Avenue. Most people have or are in the process of cleaning up from the storm. While some folks may have had flooded basements, I suspect the worst of it was probably fallen tree limbs. (I only saw one fallen tree near the corner of Beechwood and Lakeview Avenue in Collingswood, and it was a really old tree anyway.)

When I got home, I made flounder with fried peppers, red onion, and potatoes for dinner and watched Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Were-Rabbit. Everyone's favorite British cheese-obsessed inventor and his brilliant canine companion are now in the rabbit-removal business, just in time for a huge vegetable competition in their sleepy village. Wallace comes up with a mind-altering machine to try to make the rabbits not like vegetables...but he accidentally switches minds with one of the rabbits! Can Gromit save his friend and the vegetable competition when a huge rabbit terrorizes the village? Fun horror spoof and a nice introduction to these two.

No comments: