Thursday, August 18, 2011

Weather: It's the Greatest Show On Earth!

I never made it to yoga class or Collingswood. A massive thunderstorm woke me up for the second week in a row. It lasted long enough to kill any ideas I had about running anywhere. We've had storms on and off all day.

I spent the morning doing recording. The Secret of Nimh and Cats Don't Dance are unusual animated films from the 80s and 90s. Nimh is a stunning adaptation of the children's book Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. Cats is an original animated musical about a feline tap dancer who comes to Hollywood in 1939 to make it big in the movies, only to discover that animals are barred from doing anything but...well, acting like animals.

Secret of Nimh may be the best animated film of the 80s; Cats Don't Dance is quirky and cute, with some decent music by Randy Newman and one of the strangest villains of any movie.

As Cats Don't Dance ended, the sun came out, the rain disappeared, and the sky showed soft blue. Since I didn't make it to yoga, I went for a nice walk. Strolled down to the boat launch at the end of Goff Avenue, the down past the school and back to Doria's Deli on West Clinton. I treated myself to one of their famous hoagies (Turkey and Provolone, my favorite), then headed home for lunch.

Dubbed two more movies while eating and crocheting. The Princess and the Pirate has cowardly performer Bob Hope matching wits with princess Virginia Mayo and Pirate Victor MacLaglan. Good News is a cute MGM musical about a college student librarian (June Allyson) who teaches the school football hero (Peter Lawford) that "The Best Things In Life are Free" when the gold-digging new flapper on campus spurns him. But when the flapper thinks he's got millions, will he realize who he really cares about?

Good News ended with literally no time to spare. I rushed to work. It was getting a bit darker at that point, but nothing horrible. I barely made it in, thanks to a RV and trailer trying to back onto narrow Kendall Boulevard.

The Acme was very busy tonight with tons of huge orders. Today is the last day of the big Giveaway Game promotion they've been doing since May, and everyone wanted to ensure their chances of possibly winning. One order came up to over $1,000 dollars!

It was storming again when I got out. I waited as long as I could, but the rain continued. It was neat to be able to watch the lighting from the Acme, though. The trees around my apartment block the view there, but there's no such distractions on the White Horse Pike. You get a perfectly clear view of all weather phenomenon...including massive bolts of lightning that criss-crossed the sky like tight wire. It was amazing. It did finally slow down long enough for me to ride home and only get a little wet.

No comments: