Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Bunny Sibling Rivarly

Started off today with the first of two Max & Ruby DVDs I picked up yesterday. Ruby's bossiness is usually what causes trouble, but Max's mischief can sometimes cross into outright bratty behavior. Take "Max's Chocolate Chicken," the first of two Easter episodes. Ruby wants to use the chocolate chicken they get for Easter as a prize for finding eggs...but as usual, Max can't wait. Even though she finds all the eggs, he ends up with the prize. It happened with "Max Misses the Bus," too. Ruby wants to go visit Louise, but Max refuses and keeps finding excuses to miss the bus. Sorry kid, but if sis says "We have to go," that means "we have to go, and we don't always get lucky enough for our friend to come over here."

Some episodes were pretty cute. "Ruby's Beauty Shop" was a variation on the episode where she and Louise try to give Max beauty treatments. This time, they're using non-edible cosmetics on an unwilling Max. Max prefers their hair dye in punk colors. (Ever seen a bunny with leaf-green fur?) The girls and I used Keefe as a beauty shop client all the time when we were in our pre-and-early teens (up to and including the hair dye - we'd just do streaks, though).

"Max's Apple" is a variation on the "Max bugs Ruby to get something for him that is a surprise for her" story. In this case, Max keeps disrupting Ruby and Louise's apple-pie-based  hand-clap rhyme so his sister can retrieve apples from the tree his swing is on. Ruby thinks he's just hungry, but that little poem she and Louise are calling out has made him want to try making something tastier with his apple supply!

Ruby's fussiness is the problem in "Max's Rainy Day." It's raining, and Max wants to go outside and play. Anyone else would have stripped the kid down to his bathing suit and let him splash in the nearest puddle, but not Ruby. They MUST wear their boots (on the right feet), and their rain coats, and rain hats, and umbrellas. It takes so long to get dressed that the rain has stopped by the time they get out...but Max finds a way to enjoy the rainy day anyway!

I didn't get to the gym until almost 12. It was fairly busy when I came in. I enjoyed Family Feud while having a good, solid session on the stationary bike. There were a couple of people when I was working on the leg weight machines, but by the time I finished my stretching, it was mostly empty. Since I was on that side of the mall, I also stopped at America's Best a few doors down to order a new supply of contacts. I discovered this morning that my last pair had a tear in them. As the girl at America's Best said, isn't that always the way?

I went home for lunch, then changed, packed dinner, and rode back to the mall for work. The Acme was busy all evening again...and this time, there were no call-outs. I wasn't happy when some people were rude again...or when they asked me to come in tomorrow. My mouth said "yes" before my brain said it would rather be anywhere else. I need the money.

And I need it worse than I thought I did. When I tried to pay for something on eBay, my PayPal wouldn't work. It was what I thought. I had practically no money left in my checking account. I switched money from my savings account to pay for it, but I'm broke. I can't believe how much money I've spent recklessly over the past couple of months. I'm so angry with myself. I never thought I was a spendthrift, but it looks like I am. I need to stop spending and start learning how to make a real budget, or I'll never be able to run any kind of a business.

No comments: