Saturday, June 23, 2012

One for Haddon Township

I was delighted to feel fresh breeze when I opened the door this morning. The storm cleared out the haze and humidity, leaving bright sunshine, soft winds, and far more manageable lower 80-degree temperatures. I was able to turn off the air conditioner and open the windows to make things a bit less stuffy.

While Mother Nature cooled off, American Top 40 re-applied some heat. The summer of 1973 was all about folk, hard rock, gentle ballads, and R&B. Hits included "Daniel" by Elton John, "Yesterday Once More" by the Carpenters, "Bad Leroy Brown" by Jim Croce, and "Give Me Love" by George Harrison.

The number one hit that week was by Harrison's former Beatles bandmate Paul McCartney and his band Wings in a romantic mood, "My Love."

Headed out for this week's farm market/yard sale run shortly after the American Top 40 ended. Made a quick stop at a very quiet bank, then rode to Collingswood. Despite the gorgeous day, there were only a few yard sales out this morning. The first one I saw had nothing of interest but a lemonade stand. The second was huge, the same group of families who have a big sale on the big plot of land on Linwood Avenue twice a year. I found a Jerry the Mouse stuffed beanie (from the now-defunct WB Store, according to his tag), a Mary Engelbret journal and notebook still in its bag, a young adult novel called Princess Academy, and a bag of vintage cardboard decorations for Christmas and Thanksgiving. (I find so little for Thanksgiving, it was worth buying the bag for them. That, and the bag was a quarter.)

The Farm Market was bustling when I arrived at 10AM. I darted around people buying fruit and vegetables for impromptu barbecues and graduation parties as I did my rounds. I saw the first sugar plums, yellow peaches, blackberries, and green peppers of the season. Grabbed cherries, plums, blueberries, two ears of corn, one of those cute little ruffled patty pan squashes, snap peas, and a green pepper.

I wandered around in Westmont for a while, looking for the last yard sale on my list. I finally found it on Memorial Avenue, behind the Haddon Township High and Middle Schools. It was worth the wait. They had a lot of really nice holiday-related items, including boxes of colorful, barely-used Christmas ornaments that were made to look like vintage ornaments from the early and mid 20th century. I bought a box of the smaller ones and an Easter hanging with a Victorian-era print for $1.50.

I debated riding over to the Logan Presbyterian Church Thrift Shop, since it was on today, but I finally decided I had more than enough junk and just rode home instead. I messed around online for a while, then had hot dogs, macaroni salad, and snap peas for lunch while starting 4 for Texas. The Acme tried to call me in while I was eating; I told them I'd come in when I could.

I did end up going in a few minutes early. I had to pick up my contacts anyway. They were ready on Thursday evening, but I just plain didn't have the time to get them until now. Work was steady all day. We didn't have enough help, and the computers are running slow when they sign on. Thankfully, there were no other problems, and I was in and out quickly.

No comments: