Thursday, April 20, 2017

History On the Baseball Diamond

Began the day with another early work shift. There was a mild spurt around noon. Otherwise, we were quiet as can be all day. I did have to clean up a massive soda spill late in the morning. I didn't see it, but it was really a mess. Splashed everywhere, all over the Doritos and Funyuns, all on the floor, on the shelves. I mopped twice, and the floor was still sticky. On top of that, the man shelving the Frito Lay bags moved my cleaning supplies somewhere in the back and never told me where. I couldn't even find them. They were supposed to go up front. I'm glad I spent the second half doing trash and gathering carts and baskets.

It was cloudy and cool when I went to work. By the time I got off at 2, the clouds were gone, the sun was out, and though it was a bit humid, it was also much warmer. Bought a soft pretzel for a snack, then took the long say home down Nicholson Road. It was too nice not to. Nicholson was a little busy, but once I got into Oaklyn, I was fine.

Put on another Rick Steves' Europe episode while I got organized and changed into regular clothes. Headed back into France to explore their lovely Burgundy region. While this area is best known for its wines, it has other charms, including beautiful monasteries (both ancient and modern) and adorable little villages.

Spent the next couple of hours working on my story. Leia finds information in books on both the Jedi and that indicate that Baron Anakin Skywalker, whose lands and title were appropriated by Vader, vanished rather than died. Leia knows Ben told Luke he died. She'd also love to know why Henry is helping the boy - it does nothing for him or his business.

They head out in rowboats the next day. As they make their way down the river, Leia points out a ruin. Turns out it was once the headquarters of the Jedi Guards. It was burned to the ground by Vader after the Royal family was killed and the Jedi were blamed.

Broke for dinner around 6. Had leftovers while playing more Kirby's Epic Yarn. Went back to some of the earlier rounds to see if I could pick up a couple more items I hadn't been able to before. The only round I had problems with was the desert car race bonus round. I just couldn't bounce high enough to get all of the extras! Otherwise, I got most of what I was looking for. I was even able to complete another room for those little tadpole-like critters.

Finished out the night with 42: The Jackie Robinson Story. This one is pretty much what it says on the tin. Robinson (Chadwick Boseman) is recruited to play for the Brooklyn Dodgers by team head Branch Rickey (Harrison Ford) from the minor league Montreal Royals in the spring of 1947. Robinson had problems in the Royals, and they get even worse in Brooklyn, to the point where many of his teammates won't even play with him at first. Rickey and the team's manager stand up for him. Trouble follows them on the road, especially in Philadelphia, where the nasty manager (Alan Tudyk) taunts him to the point where he breaks his bat in anger. Not only does Rickey continue to believe in him, but he also gains support from teammate Pee Wee Reece (Lucas Black)...and eventually from the audience, as Robinson leads the Dodgers to the playoffs, and American sports to a new era of racial tolerance.

I thought this was really sweet. It might be a little too sweet for baseball lovers looking for a little more grit in their dugout stories. Boseman in particular does well as Robinson, a great athlete who finds himself having to keep his emotions in check if he wants to play the game he loves.

Baseball fans and fans of the cast looking for an uplifting sports tale will enjoy it (if they're not expecting a warts-and-all portrayal).

No comments: