Thursday, June 15, 2017

The Last Stand of the Enterprise

Began the day at work. I started and ended my shift outside, doing carts and rounding up baskets and outside trash. The trouble was when I tried to do the returns. I had been working on them for all of 20 minutes when I was called to the front of the store. The head manager angrily told me that I should have been organizing the carts his way and that I was doing too much standing in the aisles. Ironically, when he did hand me a cart he'd organized himself, only two items actually went where he said they did.

(I'm not the only one who has had problems with that head manager. He's been rude and nasty to just about everyone, customers and employees alike. The bakery manager and the floral department manager both complained about him being rude and demanding to them during break.)

I couldn't get out of there fast enough. It was too nice of a day to spend inside anyway. Took the long way home down Nicholson Road. Although there'd been clouds briefly in the morning, by 1 PM, it was all sunshine and a wonderfully cool wind. It was only busy down around Wal Mart, where it looked like they were doing some kind of repairs. Otherwise, I had no problems getting home.

I was surprised Charlie wasn't around when I got in. I never saw him today. The roof is covered, but still has exposed ceiling beams, and there's exposed siding outside, too. At the very least, I was able to have a simple, quiet lunch while watching Looney Tunes. I meant to do "Old Glory" yesterday for Flag Day, but never got to it, thanks to the repairs. Porky Pig is learning about the American Flag. He wonders what's so important about it. Uncle Sam appears to give him a history lesson in just how hard Americans fought to gain and keep what that flag represents.

Headed out around quarter of 3 to get the laundry done. I've had enough of rushing around on Friday. Had a huge load to do, too, including sheets. I picked the right time. The laundromat was totally empty when I arrived. I only saw one other person the whole time. I was able to get my things done with no problems. Worked on story notes while half-listening to General Hospital.

When I got home, I put everything away, then did some writing. Cedric is worried. Luke, Henry, and Charles are being held in the hold on Jenkins' lavish luxury steam yacht. He still has Leia chained up by his side. Rusty tells him not to worry. Luke has a plan...and they have help. Other members of the group are there, including Jyn and Ahsoka acting as dancers and Kanan and Ezra showing off their mind-reading act. But the main event has yet to appear...

Since Charlie never showed up today, I was able to make a decent dinner of Fish Scampi and a green salad with home-made red wine honey dressing. Watched Star Trek III: The Search For Spock while I ate. Things are not going well for the crew of the Starship Enterprise on their return to the Federation. Not only has Captain James Kirk (William Shatner) lost his best friend, but his beloved Enterprise has been put out commission by a newer, larger model. And then they discover that Spock put his soul into the brain of Doctor McCoy (DeForest Kelley) before he died. They ignore orders to not return to Genosis when Kirk's son David (Merrick Buttrick) and fellow officer Saavick (Robin Curtis) reveal that they've found Spock, reborn as a child. The crew of the stolen Enterprise have to race against both a dying planet and a group of Klingons, lead by Kruge (Christopher Lloyd), who are also after the planet.

This was...not bad, actually. Better than I thought it would be. I especially loved how they managed to steal the Enterprise under the nose of the obnoxious commander of the fancier ship, and how Kirk sacrificed the thing he loved most to save the best friend he ever had. Christopher Lloyd was good as one of the nastier villains the crew had encountered.

There were some problems, starting with a far lower budget than The Wrath of Khan. Anything filmed "outdoors" looked ridiculously stagy and set-bound. Frankly, the story was just flat-out weird, one of the most ridiculous methods of bringing a beloved character back from the dead I've ever seen. And half the cast barely registered, including Kirk's just-discovered son and Lieutenant Uhura and Sulu.

Probably not the best of the Star Trek films, but also far the from the worst. Fans of the films or the original series may enjoy it, but it is necessary to catch Wrath of Khan to understand almost anything that goes on here.

No comments: