Sunday, September 08, 2019

The Eagles Outrun the Redskins

I awoke to a gorgeous, warm, sunny morning. Kept breakfast simple with buttermilk whole wheat pancakes and a nectarine, which came out beautifully. Listened to the original cast album of How to Succeed In Business Without Really Trying while I ate. As much as I love the movie, the original is just as much fun. Three of my favorite songs didn't make it into the film - the hilarious panic attack set to music "Coffee Break," the secretaries' lament when they all wear the same "Paris Original" to the party, and the spoof ballad "Love From a Heart of Gold" for Biggley and Hedy LaMarr.

Dusted the living room after breakfast. I wanted to get all the cleaning done before I went on vacation. It wasn't really that bad, but it needed to be done, especially in my bedroom.

Listened to Rodgers & Hammerstein's State Fair while I worked. This stage adaptation of the 1946 movie musical more-or-less kept the original story intact (though it made the singer a dancer). It also added a truckload of Rodgers & Hammerstein songs either cut from their shows or taken from their lesser-known shows, including a lovely "So Far" from Allegro, "The Next Time It Happens" from Pipe Dream, and two cute songs cut from Oklahoma, "When I Go Out Walking With My Baby" and "Boys and Girls Like You and Me" for the Frake parents.

Headed out as soon as the CD ended. I was at Dad and Jodie's just in time for the first Eagles kickoff of the year. The Eagles were already losing to division rivals the Washington Redskins when I arrived, 10 to nothing. They did manage to get a touchdown during the second quarter, but they really roared to life in the second half. Suddenly, they were holding off the Redskins left and right, and Wentz was throwing bombs and DeSean Jackson was buzzing all over the field. The Eagles just barely won in a wonderful game, 32-27.

The crowd at home was fun, too. I brought glitter crayons I found on the clearance rack at work and a coloring page featuring Swoop, the Eagles' mascot. I colored with Finley and watched Paw Patrol episodes while Khai played games on Jodie's iPad. Later, Khai, Finley, and I played with the Little Tykes and Little People tracks, figures, cars, and mountain. Jodie had tacos and refried beans for lunch, with vanilla ice cream sundaes and Acme chocolate chip cookies for dessert. Along with Rose and her family, my cousin Mark and his girlfriend Joya watched with Dad and Jodie. I had a nice conversation with Jessa; we're hoping to get together after I go on vacation.

Went on the computer and into writing as soon as I got home. The ladies and Charles finds themselves back in the dark hall. After he's calm enough and has smoked his pipe, Charles explains why the crowds of ghosts scared him. He'd been in a terrible fire in a circus as a young teen and while he escaped, he'd hated crowds and audiences ever since. (All true, by the way.) He'd tried to help save Richard, who had been more heavily beaten by Ira's goons, but the crowds of goons sent him reeling. Ira called him a coward before he was knocked out. Joyce and Brett reassure that he did what he could to help his friend.

Ira reappears at this point. He gives the group the next clue, this time to find host Gene Rayburn. He vanishes before anyone can throw fists, purses, or pipes at him.

Broke for a very quick dinner at quarter of 7. I'd had a big lunch and opted for coffee yogurt with peanut butter, cocoa, and brown sugar and a pear for dinner. Listened to one of my K-Tel disco albums, High Energy, to give me energy while I ate.

Finished the night with Lego Star Wars. I had trouble keeping the large group of characters together in "Battle of Endor" and just barely made it to "Into the Death Star." I'll keep trying until I go on vacation.

No comments: