Tuesday, June 09, 2020

It's a Beautiful Day

Kicked off a late morning with breakfast and one of the Barbie movies on Hulu. Barbie: Mariposa and Her Butterfly Friends is one of my favorites of the series of movies based around the most famous fashion doll in the world. I can certainly relate to Mariposa, a shy butterfly fairy who would rather read and admire the stars than attend parties with he friends. Mariposa and her friend Willa work for the spoiled twins Rayna and Rayla, who hope to attract the attention of Prince Carlos. Carlos, however, befriends Mariposa, for he too loves to read and wonders about the world beyond their land. It's to her he turns when his mother, Queen Marabella, falls ill. If she dies, the lights that scare off the fairy-eating skeezites will die, too. It's up to Mariposa and her extensive knowledge of the world beyond the butterfly fairies' realm to save Flutterfield and her friends.

This is by far my favorite of the earlier Barbie specials. The story is fun (and I like that there's no shoehorned romance - Carlos remains friends with the girls), the animation is lovely, and as someone who has struggled to fit in since childhood, I know all too well how Mariposa feels in the beginning, when she keeps saying that no one understands her. (I'm not the only one who enjoyed Mariposa's tale. Mattel and Universal released a sequel, Mariposa and the Fairy Princess, in 2013.)

Went online while the movie was on to see if the money from disability came through. It did. It's not as much as I'd hoped, but something is better than nothing. I added my regular checking account so I could transfer the money there, but it won't go through for a few days. I'd use the card until it did.

Had a quick lunch while watching Match Game and getting organized. Everyone was in a great mood in this episode from 1974. There was lots of hugging and kissing when the contestant won her first Head-to-Head Round, including Brett smooching Bert Convy and Dick Gautier giving Ann Elder maybe too big of a squeeze!

Headed out to run errands after the episode ended. First on the list was checking to see the progress on the apartment and the street in front of it. Hillcrest has been repaved and the sidewalk redone; they're now working on the ends leading to the street. If they've done any painting, it was in the living room or bathroom. The bedroom remains peach with turquoise walls, though there are paint spatters on the window.

I've been wanting to get back to Dollar General for a while. Alas, they didn't have that cleaning vinegar I loved so much, but there were other things I needed. I was shocked to discover eggs for a dollar! They weren't that cheap before the virus hit, even at Dollar General. Grabbed a container, along with two more bins. They sell pillows too, and my pillows have been going flat for a long time. My bathtub has been draining slow; needed Drano badly. Treated myself to my favorite pecan roll and a cherry limeade sparkling soda.

The day was perfect for a long walk. While it was much hotter than it has been - 91, according to the digital sign at City Hall - it was also sunny, breezy, and not humid at all. No wonder Dollar General was relatively busy and there were plenty of other people working in their yards or riding bikes.

Put the pillows in the back until tomorrow after I got home and wiped down the bins before bringing them in. Went through the pots and pans under the sink while Jamie Farr of MASH and soap opera star Constance McCashin helped their contestants through Super Password. Packed baking pans it'll likely be too hot for me to use before I move.

Switched to going through comic books by the time Gary Crosby and his delightfully sarcastic wife were winning Tattletales. I never heard of comic Milt Kamen and his wife Margot, but I know the work of the third contestant well. Sammy Cahn is the lyricist of such beloved standards as "Let It Snow!," "Three Coins In the Fountain," and "It's Been a Long, Long Time." He seemed to have a great time with his wife Tita.

I was clearing out most of my American Girl books by the time Press Your Luck was on. Whammies abounded on this Halloween-themed episode as they trick-or-treated away with people's money. The previous champ couldn't get close to a woman who won two vacations and lots of money.

Worked on writing for a while. Charles talks to the woman, who claims she knows Fannie and is looking for her. She knows Richard by name, too, and has seen through his princely disguise. The two dance, and she reveals herself to be Maid Lee (Merriweather), the head of Malade's ladies-in-waiting. She must find Fannie, as she has news about Malade and her prisoners...

Broke for dinner and to sign the papers for disability at work at 6. Skipped ahead a year on Match Game to 1975. Jack Albertson and Lynn Redgrave joined the panel in these episodes. Albertson in particular did very well, getting most answers right and matching the Head-to-Head on his first try!

Sale of the Century had its third close game in a row. The woman was ahead for most of the game and bought two of the Instant Bargains, but the champ bought the third and once again blew everyone away in the speed round. He didn't seem to be impressed by the diamond ring and opted to come back tomorrow to try for more prizes.

Finished the night online with On With the Show! I go further into this vintage early talkie at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

On With the Show!

No comments: