Thursday, June 18, 2020

It's Raining Sunshine

Awoke to pouring rain and a gloomy morning. The rain continued as I ate breakfast and watched Blockbusters. No one could touch that granddaughter-grandmother pair today. They dispatched the woman challenger as I turned on the TV. The granddaughter only missed two questions on the Gold Rush bonus round, and she and her grandmother were easily dealing with a new male challenger when the show ended.

Did the dishes, crocheted a pillow case for my couch pillows, and waited for the showers to end while watching Broadway Melody of 1938. I go further into the third entry in the series (and the one that introduced Judy Garland's rendition of "Dear Mr. Gable (You Made Me Love You)" ) at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Broadway Melody of 1938

Had lunch while watching a horse-themed episode of the 2003 Strawberry Shortcake. Honey Pie is excited about being the Grand Marshall of the "Festival of the Fillies" on Ice Cream Island. While Strawberry's friends handle having their own horses, they have to rescue Honey Pie from the devious Licorice Whip, who wants the talking pony for his own horse show.

Switched to the first half of Classic Concentration while getting organized to run errands. An older woman and a young salesman were the contestants this afternoon. The guy barely let the lady get a chance to play. He won most of the prizes, took her only one, and ultimately guessed the puzzle. He didn't get close to winning the car, though.

The rain was long gone by the time I'd started out with the cart, replaced by sun, heat, and humidity. First stop of the day was the laundromat. They weren't really busy, but I had other things to do. I tossed my small load into the slower washer to give me time and headed out.

Family Dollar is a block away. I wanted to buy a Father's Day card. Thought of getting more bins too, but they're out of the really expensive ones. Their sugar is cheaper than the Acme's, so I grabbed some there. To my embarrassment, I grabbed a ripped one. I didn't realize it until I was choosing a drink and stepped into grit...and looked over my shoulder and saw small piles of sugar on the floor. I put the sugar back and quickly told an employee and the girl behind the counter what happened.

My load only had a few minutes left when I got back. Even though it wasn't busy, I decided to once again work on my story notes outside. I'm not sure I trust sitting in the laundromat anymore. Despite the signs on the doors clearly saying you need a mask to get in, one young man doing his wash just a few machines down from me didn't wear a mask or any protective covering. Whenever possible, I will sit on the concrete barrier between the parking lot and the house next-door and wait for my wash to finish or run other errands.

Ran Tattletales while I put my clothes away, then Press Your Luck as I worked on that pillow case. This time, there was a two-way tie on Tattletales between the dry-humored older couple Milton Berle and his witty wife Ruth and kooky Donald Ross and Patti Deustch. Yesterday's champ on Press Your Luck was finally unseated by a woman who had an unprecedented run on the board, winning over 28,000 in cash and prizes without hitting a single Whammy.

Worked on writing for the next few hours. Richard is about to leave when he finds Fannie's crystal slipper, dropped when she hurried off. He brings it with him, hoping to find her again. Lee, Gene, and the frog lead them into a servant's hall, then across the main castle, dodging several guards on the way. It's Jo Ann the fairy who notices the line of demons and trolls on their way to the ballroom, reminding them that they have to find the others, before things get even worse.

Broke for leftovers at 6:30. Match Game brought in dancer Bobby Van and comedy writer and comedienne Ann Elder, and Laugh-In sweetie Sarah Kennedy as the older man contestant just barely beat a very nervous blonde lady. I don't know why drummers seem to do so well on Sale of the Century. A rock session drummer was neck-and-neck with the previous champ for the first half, but he started to pull ahead during the second half, then blew everyone away in the speed round. He too opted to return for better prizes.

Finished the night online after a shower with more Charlie's Angels at The Roku Channel. Once again, the Angels are supposed to be on vacation in the first season episode "Angels On a String." Sabrina claims she met a Polish political leader when he climbed over the railing at their mountain resort to meet her, but he doesn't seem to recognize her later. It turns out to be a double planted as part of a way to discredit the man. The ladies pose as employees at the hotel to find out who did it and where they took the real man.

No comments: