Saturday, July 24, 2010

Hot Enough to Fry a Cow On the Sidewalk

I don't know if it got up to 100 today, but it was very hot, and even worse, very humid. Nevertheless, I got quite a bit done. I ran the usual Saturday errands this morning. Checked out a yard sale. They were just selling baby toys, so I moved on to the bank. After I left there, I headed for the Collingswood Farm Market. They were surprisingly busy for such a hot day. I found lots of things I wanted to try - peaches, an ear of corn, tiny apples, tomatoes, blackberries, blueberries, romaine lettuce, perfect purple eggplant, and the first regular-sized plums of the season.

I was sweating buckets when I finally got home. I put everything away, then thought I'd add music to my MP3 player for my visit to the family in Cape May County next weekend. I did manage to delete a bunch of old stuff and add a jazz CD and part of the first disc of the Birds, Bees, and Monkees special edition that I bought in February before I got a strange error that said "This USB Device can Perform Faster if Connected to Hi Speed USB 2.0 Port." I don't know why it said that. It WAS connected to a hi-speed 2.0 port. I checked three times. I rebooted twice and reset twice. Nothing seemed to change.

I got so frustrated, I finally decided to ignore the heat and go out to the mall behind the Acme and see if I could find an MP3 player. I didn't get an MP3 player, but I did finally buy a new pair of cheap sneakers to run errands in from The Shoe Depot and a new purse from Fashion Bug. (The lining on the old one was ripped, and I really wasn't that crazy about it. The handle wasn't nearly long enough, and it wasn't big enough for everything I haul in my handbag when I'm on a trip.) I took a look at MP3 players at Wal Mart and Staples, but I finally decided I'd see if I could do something about the old one.

After I got home, I changed into my bathing suit and went right over to Dad and Uncle Ken's for a swim. Dad's still out of town at a wedding, but Uncle Ken, Dolores, and several neighbors and Dolores' grandchildren Mercedes and Blake were around. I swam with the kids in the pool for a while, playing something called "Cattergories." You name a category (stuffed animals, TV shows), and everyone has to guess something in that category. If the person guesses something someone's picked, they have to chase them. If they make it to the other side, the other person is still it. Mercedes never did get anyone.

After I got home, I made a lovely dinner of steamed yellow squash and zucchini, cucumbers, and cornmeal-battered salmon. Oh, and Lauren helped me figure out what's going on with the computer. I'm going to have to re-install the problematic driver tomorrow.

No comments: