Saturday, October 09, 2010

The Bounty of Fall

Awoke to another brilliant morning. It was just as nice as yesterday, and a little warmer this time, as the breeze had vanished in the night. I leaned back and listened to the American Top 40 re-run, enjoying the peace of the day.

Headed out for this week's farm market-yard sale run around quarter after 9. I spent most of the morning riding around, looking at yard sales. Haddon Heights was supposed to be having their city-wide yard sale day. I tried to ride up there, but I kept getting lost in the rabbit's warren of streets that makes up Audubon and Westmont. By the time I got there, I was too tired to do much looking around.

Stopped at the farm market before I went to Haddon Heights. Despite the nice day, it didn't seem as crowded as usual. Maybe a lot of people decided to spend this gorgeous holiday weekend at the Shore, closing their summer houses. Tomatoes and pears were gone, but I was able to find peppers, spinach, leeks, an eggplant, those lovely little apples I like, decorative gourds, and the first New Jersey broccoli of the season. I picked up bananas and kiwi from the wholesalers to make up for the missing pears.

Even with all the running around, I made my best yard sale finds today in Oaklyn. I stepped into an estate sale on East Clinton and bought four 60s-early 70s A Very Merry Christmas LPs (the 60s records say they were made exclusively for Grant's, a now-defunct department store chain) and one record of music from the Mummmers' parade.

I went home from Haddon Heights via Atlantic Avenue and eventually ended up riding to Kendall and checking out the sales there. I bought two more of those hardback Wonderful World of Reading books for my nephew Skylar for Christmas, the Mickey Mouse Prince and the Pauper and Lady and the Tramp. I went across the street and found some American Girls-sized clothes. I bought Molly the most adorable pink cardigan sweater and an apple-themed dress that might fit the Cabbage Patch Kid girls. (They also had Samantha's "Meet" dress, but I don't need that.) The college-age girl running the sale had once owned a Samantha and was disappointed she's now retired. We had a short but pleasant chat about collecting Samantha items.

It was past noon by the time I bought the doll clothes. Time to head home. When I got in, I made a hot turkey and cheese sandwich with fried peppers and onions and little pears for lunch, then worked on editing this month's Monkees role play for a while. (Look for it sometime next week!)

But that gorgeous day kept calling me. I went out again to run errands around 3:30. My first stop was the CVS across from Newton River Park. I'd forgotten to buy contact solution yesterday at the Acme, and I was almost out. I walked down to WaWa next for some milk.

I wasn't the only one who'd opted for a late-day walk. The sidewalks were busy with people strolling with their children, kids and teens in packs or riding their bikes or scooters, and adults on bikes, enjoying the gorgeous weather. I saw quite a few people putting up their Halloween decorations, too.

I did stay at home when I got in...but not inside. I put Molly into her new pink sweater, then scooped up her and Felicity and took them outside. I took pictures of them as I had them "play" on the porch. I have a small green foam ball that's the perfect size for an American Girl doll to play catch with. I also had them inspect fall leaves. And the naughty girls climbed on my railings and tried walking on them. (I'm probably lucky they didn't fall off!)

By 5, it was now getting dark and cold. I finally retired indoors. Spent the rest of the evening finishing the crocheted purse I made for Jessa and watching the Charlie Chaplin movie Modern Times. Modern Times is Chaplin's last silent movie (though there is some dialogue and singing). Chaplin's Little Tramp goes nuts in his demanding factory job...but when he meets pretty orphan Paulette Goddard, he decides that he wants to make enough money for a home for both of them. But where the Little Tramp goes, trouble always follows...

I remember seeing this movie as a child and enjoying it, especially the opening in the factory. It's still a lot of fun...and may have even more meaning now as many people face the same perpetual unemployment that the Little Tramp and Paulette do here.

As I made shrimp, mushroom, and leek stir-fry for dinner, I reflected on how this has been one of the most pleasant and productive weeks in recent memory, at least since my August vacation. I got a LOT done this week. Next week, I hope to get started on raking the front and side lawn.

No comments: