Sunday, October 03, 2010

Windy Day For A Picnic

It was still sunny and bright when I finally got up around 9:30. I wrote in my journal, then made Whole Wheat Pancakes and a pear for breakfast and ran the Brunch With the Beatles show. "The Songs of John Lennon," whose 70th birthday would have been this week, was the them. In the reverse of how they usually do the shows devoted to one of the Beatles, they started with his solo work, including my two favorites from the Double Fantasy album, "Woman" and "(Just Like) Starting Over."

Called Mom after I finished breakfast. She didn't really talk for very long, though she seemed like she was in a good mood. She did say it was cloudy and windy in Cape May County and looked like it was going to rain.

The clouds finally started rolling in as I worked on editing more Bowery Boys stories for our site. It was colder and still very windy as I changed into my work clothes and left a bit early to enjoy Oaklyn's Town Picnic.

The Town Picnic is Oaklyn's big fall festival. I went to it last year, and I was glad I could get there again. It's on the big field behind the Oaklyn School at the end of West Clinton Avenue. There was already a long line for food when I arrived. I had a pulled pork sandwich, cole slaw, and a couple of cookies. I've had a rather dry throat for the past few days, thanks to allergies working overtime, so I had some root beer water ice, too.

There were plenty of other things to do at the Town Picnic. Kids stood in long lines for fire truck rides and a bounce house and slide. There was a face painting booth and a craft booth. PNC Bank had a booth and was giving away freebies. I got incense, an orange tote bag, and a pen. I'll give the incense away as a Christmas gift. I donated a dollar to the Oaklyn Library for a raffle for a lovely Halloween-themed quilt. There was a local band playing their own alternative rock tunes. There were football throws and softball catch games.

I went straight to the Acme from the Oaklyn School. I'm glad I got there early. Between the big Eagles-Redskins game this afternoon, the Phillies' last regular season game, myriad parties and fall festivals this weekend, and this being the beginning of the month, it was very busy all day. It was so busy, we didn't really have enough help, even though no one called out. Thankfully, it had slowed down enough by 6 that I was able to leave with no problems.

It started raining slightly on my way home, just big drops that didn't amount to much. The wind had picked up even more, though, and it was cold and dreary. I just left my bike in front of the apartment and headed to Uncle Ken's without even changing, so I could see the game, too.

Turns out I needn't had rushed. The Eagles played a terrible game and ultimately lost 17-12. I did have a grilled cheese, turkey, and ham sandwich for dinner, and I got to say hi to Uncle Ken, Jodie, Dad, and Samantha and David and their brood for a while.

The game was so bad, I came home early and opted for The Dress Circle instead. "The Shows of October" was the theme. Broadway favorites that opened in mid-fall included Cats, High Button Shoes, the Lena Horne vehicle Jamaica, How to Succeed In Business Without Really Trying, and one of my favorite Broadway flops, Mack and Mabel.

No comments: