Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sweet n' Tough Victory

Started off a gorgeous, 70-degree October morning with Peanut Butter Pancakes and a call to Mom. Mom and I chatted for a little over a half-hour. Between the Eagles game and having the house to herself, she was in a very good mood. Dad had gone for a bike ride; Keefe was babysitting my nephews.

I listened to Brunch With the Beatles while I talked to Mom and had breakfast. The theme of today was "Beatles Outtakes." My favorites were the many versions of "Strawberry Fields Forever" and the one for "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."

After the Beatles ended, I put on a Bowery Boys movie and made icing for the spice cake I baked last night. I put a stick of Smart Balance 50/50 Spread, a cup of powdered sugar, vanilla, milk, allspice, and nutmeg in the food processor. I love that food processor. The icing actually came out the consistency I wanted it to...something I could never pull off until Lauren got me the food processor last Christmas.

Headed to Uncle Ken's for this week's football party around quarter of 1. Uncle Ken and Dolores were there, along with Samantha and David and their kids and many of Dolores' children and their children. Jessa and her boyfriend arrived later. I was the umpire for the kids playing Wiffleball for a while until they started to argue too much. They went inside to find a football that was better inflated than the one it the garage.

The Eagles' game went much better than the kids' game. They were up 21-7 by half time, even after one of their star players, DeSean Jackson, ran literally head-on into a Falcon and landed them both on the ground, out like lights. The moment that happened, everything just stopped. The Linc went silent. It was really freaky. Jackson had a concussion. I think the other guy may have hurt his neck.

Uncle Ken was nice enough to make me a hot ham and cheese hoagie for lunch. I finished it right before half-time began and I left for work. I'd brought my lunch bag with a banana with me, so I wouldn't even have to go back in my apartment. I walked back to my bike, jumped on the bike, and rode to work.

Work was crazy-busy when I arrived, but on-and-off for the rest of the night. No wonder. Apparently, the Eagles continued to play well and eventually won, 31-17. I was in and out quickly and with no problems.

This has been a big sports weekend in Philadelphia. In addition to the Eagles game tonight, the Flyers played yesterday, and the Phillies just won their playoff game with the San Francisco Giants as I type this, 6-1.

Listened to the second half of the Dress Circle when I got in. "New Cast Albums" were the theme of the night. I wasn't that crazy about the selections from The Addams Family, no matter how good Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth were singing them. I found the revue Sondheim on Sondheim to be far more enjoyable. Loved Vanessa Williams and a couple of the female dancers in a number cut from Gypsy, "Smile Girls."

No comments: