Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Off to See the Counselor

Started the morning with more Mickey Mouse summer-themed shorts, this time color ones from the late 40s and 50s. Mickey and Pluto are riding the rails in "Mr. Mouse Takes a Trip." They have to dodge Conductor Pete when he insists that there are no dogs allowed on the train. Camping is hardly "Plutopia" when Pluto has to be kept on a muzzle outside Mickey's cabin and dreams he's in a bizarre world where cats are subservient and bones come from wells. Mickey and Minnie jump back to a gentler summer of vaudeville and wind-up Model Ts in "The Nifty Nineties." And Mickey's hoping to find "The Simple Things" during a day of fishing, but Pluto's encounter with a clam and a seagull intent on getting a fish lunch make his day off a lot more complicated than he planned!

It was another hot, muggy, and sunny morning when I headed out. Thankfully, there was a nice breeze that kept it from feeling even worse. Probably due to the heat, Newton River Park wasn't too busy around 10:30. There were a few dedicated joggers and fishermen and at least two flocks of ducks, and that was it. The river's starting to look green around the gills again, but the grass and trees are still fresh and green, and the wildflowers are beautiful.

Between the heat and this morning being Storybook Hour, the Haddon Township Library was a bit of a pain today. I had to get around kids while trying to organize the children's DVDs...and they needed it very badly. It wasn't hard to tell that I hadn't been in last week. The adult DVDs needed to be shelved and sorted through, too. And I thought one of the librarians told me to remove all multiple copies of titles from the children's racks to save room...but then another librarian said not to. I wish they'd make up their minds, before they have to buy new shelves for all these overflowing titles.

I did take out a few DVDs today, all animated. They just got in the newest Mickey Mouse Clubhouse title, The Wizard of Dizz. I never did get a chance to watch Ice Age: Continental Drift the last time I had it out. I still haven't seen the original Madagascar, never mind it's popular sequels or Nickelodeon show. I did see Monsters Inc. when it came out about a decade ago, but not since then. With Monsters University in theaters, I thought this was a good time to give that one another look.

Had a really quick lunch at a pin-drop quiet Wendy's. It was quarter of 12 by then, just before the lunch hour, and I pretty much had the place to myself. I had a tasty half-size Berry Almond Chicken Salad (blueberries, strawberries, almond slices, and chicken pieces on romaine and iceberg lettuce; not bad) and a Diet Coke.

Made it to Haddonfield around 12:30. I would have gone there today even if I didn't have counseling. The back tire on the bike is bald as an egg. The seat broke on one side as well and is extremely uncomfortable. I  needed to replace both. I left it with the boys at the bike shop and walked the four blocks to Mrs. Stahl's office.

We mostly discussed Lauren's eventful visit, my brush with recent technology, Keefe's surprise appearance and my parents' sudden extra room, and my plans for the summer. First on tap is getting a few things looked at - namely, a dental appointment and a breast examination. (Every woman I know has been after me to do the latter for years.) I haven't seriously gone through my media since I got the DVD recorder two years ago and dubbed almost all of my videos. The records, CDs, and DVDs in particular need a combing-through. While summer is a bad time to be job hunting here (many smaller businesses are closed or on limited hours or personnel during the summer months), I could start brainstorming ideas for an at-home business I could pull off. And I do have two new computers to figure out.

Mrs. Stahl pretty much says make those appointments, work on the emotional outbursts (which caused some trouble during Lauren's stay), and maybe try to save money to get together with some of your other friends. Kelly in Wildwood is in the midst of her busy season, but Amanda is on her summer break and may be up to  a day or two together.

Things went less well at the bike shop. Buying and installing a new tire and seat cost 91 dollars! I figured it would be more like 50. I'll either call ahead of time when I next need the bike to be fixed, or find a cheaper way to do it. For now, I really did need the tire and seat. They did their job; the seat was higher and easier on my rear, and the ride was much smoother.

I made a quick stop at the Haddonfield's PNC for money, then rode into Westmont. The steamy hot day practically required a stop at Primo's Water Ice. I was surprised the place wasn't more crowded. At 3PM, a lot of kids may have been outside, in a pool, or hiding in air conditioning at home. I enjoyed my White Russian water ice in the air-conditioned "Ice Box," their big room in the back where they hold parties. The only people there with me were a pre-teen boy and girl enjoying sundaes and a kid playing a first-person shooter video game.

Went straight home after I finished my water ice. I went on the computer for a little while, then put on The Wizard of Dizz while paging through the fruit desserts in the Better Homes and Gardens Dessert Cook Book. Minnie was in the spotlight this time as a pink tornado sends her and Pluto off to the magical land of Dizz, where bows fly and helping hands can be multi-colored cities. Goofy is the Scarecrow who wants brains. Mickey is the Tin Woodsmouse, who wants a heart to help him keep up with the others. Donald is the Cowardly Lion-Duck, who wants courage to be king of the jungle. Forgetful Good Witch Clarabelle gives Minnie magic green shoes...and Bad Witch Pete would do anything to get them!

The rain started during the cartoon. It began the same way it did yesterday. One minute it was sunny...and then suddenly boom! A thunderstorm appeared. Thankfully, this one wasn't nearly as long or frequent as yesterday's. It was gone by the time I was relaxing in a tepid bathtub, listening to Natalie Cole and reading Women Who Run With the Wolves.

The two bonus episodes are even more fun. Explorer Daisy O'Dare is after "The Golden Boo Boo." To find it, she needs to discover three puzzle pieces that'll show her where the statue is hidden. She and Mickey find themselves ducking around Safari Pete all the way! When "Goofy's Gone," it's "The Do-Gooders," Detective Minnie, Secret Agent Daisy, and Captain Clarabelle to the rescue!

Also included are ten episodes of the Minnie-centric Clubhouse spin-off Minnie's Bow-tique. Minnie runs the title clothing shop and has a bow for every occasion. She, Daisy, and Clarabelle are joined by Coco-Loca the cukoo clock canary (who sounds - and often acts - a lot like Sweetie Pie from Tiny Toon Adventures) and Minnie's adorable nieces Millie and Melody, making their animated debuts after years of appearing in the comics. Among my favorite episodes were "Flowers Fix" (Minnie has to repair Millie and Melody's flower costumes when they fall apart), "Dancing Lessons" (Daisy and Minnie teach Clarabelle how to do the Snowflake for her date with Goofy), and "Trouble Times Two" (Millie and Melody wreck havoc on the main floor when a poodle movie star arrives and demands a quiet shopping experience).

No comments: