Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Marshmallow World

I awoke to a sunny, freezing cold blanket of white. Everything out side was white, from the glitter on my porch to the sparkling ice on the river. I stuck my ruler in the snow again, and once again got 9 inches. The snow must have stopped shortly after I measured the snow last night.

I spent most of the morning watching cartoons and crocheting, beginning with the remaining Phineas & Ferb episodes. Some of the episodes here have fun playing with the formula. The two part-er "Sidedtracked" focuses almost entirely on Perry and Doofensmirtz, with the title characters only showing up in the beginning and the end. Perry teams up with a Canadian agent to get a moose that's the symbol of the country across the border. Doofensmirtz and his Canuck counterpart want to get the moose off the train and derail Canada's Canada Day festivities and national pride. Perry has to work with Doof in another two-part story, "Primal Perry." A renegade bounty hunter handcuffs the two together to chase them across the town's botanical gardens.

Phin and Ferb had their own adventures away from their platypus pal. They accidentally turn their ever-tattling teenage sister Candace into a fly in "Fly On the Wall." She thinks it's a great way to get her mother to see what her brothers are up to this time and find out where her date's taking her for dinner. She tries to get her tired mother to notice the gigantic licorice rope knot ball the boys are working their way out of in "Knot My Problem," but thanks to Doof's hunger-inducing ray, eats it instead. She will occasionally help them out when they really are threatened, like when they switch their minds with aliens's, expecting a vacation and ending up in an alien jail instead, in "Mind Share."

Rose drove me to work. It's pretty much the same deal as the last time we were hit with snow and then cold weather - the salt has congealed and frozen on all but the most-traveled roads. Despite the mess, we were on-and-off busy all day at the Acme. We shelved candy during the down times. Dad drove me home.

Though Andrew or Richard seem to have shoveled the path to my apartment, they haven't gotten to my porch and steps yet. It was slow going up to my apartment. When I got in, I had a quick dinner of leftover tuna casserole while running a couple more Stooges cartoon shorts. "It's a Bad, Bad, Bad World" has their old nemesis Badman stealing candy...but every time the Stooges think they have him, someone says "good," and he returns to his original form as a crying kid. They want to find the "Abominable Snowman" for a movie director, but all the Snowman wants to do is play with them. The boys become circus animal trainers in "You Ain't Lion," but it's the lion who seems to be doing the training. And the Stooges' new assignment of taking TV footage of a rare avian mother turns out to be "Strictly For the Birds" when it seems the birds value their privacy and aren't keen on becoming small-screen stars.

I spent the rest of the evening in a nice, warm bath, reading a book on being a woman and how to enjoy simple pleasures like doing housework (which I actually do enjoy) and indulging in a few pretty things now and then. My Vaughan Monroe CD seemed appropriate; the big band conductor and singer and his orchestra introduced "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!"

No comments: