Friday, February 07, 2014

Double Caper Trouble

Started off the day with running Big Business during breakfast, and later while I worked on that music project for counseling. Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin play two sets of twins switched at birth. One set lives in New York and runs a huge corporation; the other is from a small town in West Virginia and lives the rural farm life. When it's discovered that the corporation is going to shut down the furniture factory that practically runs the West Virginia town, the country girls go to the city to keep this from happening. No one seems to be able to tell the two sets of twins apart, despite them being four very different women. Country Rose (Tomlin) is determined and bossy. Country Sadie (Midler) is sweet, naive, and desperate for city glamour. City Sadie (Midler) is the president of the company and a major brat. City Rose (Tomlin) is shy, quiet, and desperate for country charm. In the end, it'll take a combined effort to save the small town where they were all born, whether City Sadie likes it or not!

Tomlin and especially Midler shine in this hilarious farce. I think it's cute, but I like both leading ladies and goofy 80s comedies with lots of complications and obvious gags. If you're into Tomlin or Midler or have fond memories of encountering this on cable in the 80s and early 90s, it's still a lot of fun.

Work was on and off steady for most of the day. It was a little busier than it has been, but still not overwhelming. Once again, it picked up a bit during rush hour, but not enough that I wasn't able to shut down quickly without a relief.

Good thing, because I had my own grocery shopping to do. I took advantage of some good sales, notably on sugar (A 5 Lb bag of Domino's was $1.99) and cereal (Honey Bunches of Oats were also $1.99). I had a lot of items that needed to be restocked - grapefruit, apples, bananas, powdered sugar, pudding mix (both after making the whipped icing for the Super Bowl cupcakes last Sunday), tuna ($.88 each), olive oil, cooking spray,  honey, and yogurt. Found a bag of Green Giant Multi-Grain Sweet Potato Chips on the clearance rack. I'm not normally a fan of potato chips (too greasy), but I do like sweet potatoes. At a $1.49, I was willing to give them a chance.

I'm not as happy with my schedule this week. I once again work more than 7 days straight through - my next day off is next Friday! Two of those days are early, at 9, and one is 7 hours. On the other hand, I do have Friday and Saturday off, and nothing later than 5. Not to mention, it's February. I always get a ton of hours in February. If people aren't going away for winter vacations, they're preparing for Valentine's Day or bad weather or sporting events or the many birthdays that happen this month.

When I got home, the heater was making that annoying grinding noise again...the one it made before it died in November. It hasn't given me trouble since it was fixed. I wonder if Andrew just needs to bite the bullet and replace it. I called him; got his wife, Linda. She said she'd give Andrew the message.

I had leftover steak and a green salad with home-made balsamic vinaigrette (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, seasonings, salt, pepper) during dinner while watching The Great Muppet Caper.  The second Muppet film (and the only one directed by Jim Henson) takes Kermit, Fozzie, and Gonzo to London to interview Lady Holiday (Diana Rigg), whose jewels were stolen. Kermit mistakes Miss Piggy for Holiday, and Piggy naturally falls for him. But for once, Kermit has a rival - Nicky Holiday (Charles Grodin), Lady Holiday's mooching brother. When it's discovered that the thief is now after Lady Holiday's fabulous Baseball Diamond, the Muppets spring into action. Piggy, who has been framed for the crime, does her best to fly the coop and save her frog!

Not a bad entry. There's some really cute gags, including Kermit and Piggy's argument over who carries the film mid-way through, Grodin's crush on Piggy, and how they all get into the museum where the Diamond's being kept. Necessary for Muppets fans; great for families and fans of Rigg and Grodin, too.

No comments: