Sunday, February 23, 2014

Promise Of Spring

I finished out El Dorado (and what I have of the Scarlet Pimpernel series) before moving on to today's Brunch With the Beatles. Though the first 20 minutes or so were devoted to the Beatles' third, briefer appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, most of this episode was devoted to songs by George Harrison. Favorite songs George did with the Beatles include "Think For Yourself," "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You," "Taxman," "Green Tangerine," "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," and "Something." Solo hits included "My Sweet Lord," "What Is Life," "Blown Away," "All Those Years Ago," and "Got My Mind Set On You."

Called Mom after finishing my breakfast of Pumpkin Dark Chocolate Chip Pancakes. She was enjoying a quiet morning doing outside chores. Dad's at work on the ocean; Anny took her sons to a local park to explore. I told her about my very long week and babysitting for Khai. We discussed the weather (they mostly got rain from the last round, not even the little snow we got) and looking up online courses on communicating better.

I still want to take some online courses. I think the problem with the last ones were I jumped too hard, too fast into something I wasn't even 100% sure I wanted to do. I should have done more research on the class and teacher before I started, too. Instead of committing myself to something as major as business, I want to learn more about smaller things first...like learning how to talk to people and deal with some folks' rudeness.

I listened to 80s music while cleaning up from breakfast, then headed to work. Work was completely insane today. We had long lines all afternoon. We weren't the only ones, either. Mom said Cape May was elbow-to-elbow packed, with many bed-and-breakfasts scrambling for extra help. I ended up staying another hour. I suspect people were taking advantage of more gorgeous weather before it gets colder next week; there's also possible rumblings about snow.

I needed a few things after I finished. The other reason the Acme was busy today probably had to do with the huge weekend-only sales that are running. They were totally out of the dollar bags of spinach, but I did snare a container of Turkey Hill's divine Coconut Almond Fudge Ice Cream for $1.99. I also grabbed cheese (which I forgot yesterday), printer paper (I finally ran out), and a sympathy card for my friends Linda and James Young. Their beloved dog Willow finally passed away yesterday after a long, difficult illiness that was rough on her and both her owners. 

I listened to more 80s music when I finally got in and made a broccoli and cheese omelet for dinner. My sisters and I were big fans of Debbie Gibson during her late 80s heyday. Rose even had the black felt hat she always wore. I was delighted to find her hit debut album Out of the Blue about five years ago. It always brings back fond memories of all the fun the girls and I had as kids, dancing to our favorite cassettes and records.

No comments: