Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Queen of the Snow Showers

It did snow again this morning. It was coming down even as I worked on my new story. This time, though, the snow was fine, soft, and powdery, not icy at all. I easily swept it off the porch and steps twice, shortly after breakfast and before I went to work. In fact, the sun was coming out, even as I sped down the Black Horse Pike. (The bike has been working so much better since I got the tire fixed. I should not have put it off.)

Work was, quite frankly, a bore for most of the day. We were so quiet, there wasn't even much cleaning to do up front. I spent the majority of the afternoon standing around, working on ideas for my story. Even when it did start to pick up during the 4PM rush hour, it still wasn't crazy, or even as steady as yesterday. Despite my relief being sent elsewhere, I had no problems getting out.

The snow was long gone when I headed home. The sun was out, the sky was blue, and either the sun had melted the snow, or the wind blew it away. There was nothing left on my steps when I arrived, and barely anything on my porch.

I ran The Snow Queen, a Russian animated film from the 50s, as I had whiting fillets in lemon-wine sauce with sauteed spinach and mushrooms and Apple Kuchen for dinner. This version of the tale comes far closer to the original story than the Disney movie Frozen. Art Linkletter introduces the story, telling it to a pack of kids at a Christmas party. Kai (voice of Tommy Kirk) gets a sliver of ice in his eye that was created by the Snow Queen, and loses his ability to feel or love. When he disappears with the Snow Queen, his dear friend Gerda (Sandra Dee) goes after him. Gerda's love for her friend knows no bounds. She dodges summer sorceresses, a pair of royal sweethearts, and a feisty girl thief (Patty McCormick) in order to find him and bring him home.

I don't know how easy this is to find nowadays (I dubbed my copy off a video from the 80s), but it's interesting if you do run into it. It feels like a Disney princess film done several years later with slightly more limited animation. Worth a look for fans of animated fairy tales.

No comments: