Friday, February 28, 2014

"The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway..."

I slept in a bit this morning, until about 8:30, then spent an hour or so reading Wings of the Falcon and writing in my journal. When I finally made it out of bed, I had breakfast and finished Three Little Words. It was past 11:30 when I finally made it to the laundromat. Thankfully, there were only two older women there when I came in, and it never got remotely busy. The cold must have scared people off. I was able to wash my large load, read, and listen to The View and the noon news in peace.

When I got home, I quickly put everything away, then went right back out again. Cold or no cold, I wanted to get to the Haddon Township Library. Despite the 23 degrees temperature listed on the new digital sign at Oaklyn's City Hall, it was actually a rather pretty day. The sky was a rich blue, the sun was warm, and the wild winds from yesterday had gentled into a mild breeze.

Stopped at Friendly's first for lunch. I still have a bunch of 20% off coupons to use. I got there around 1:30, and it was really busy, mostly with older couples and families. I went simpler this time and settled for a tasty Swiss (Cheese) Burger and fries. No ice cream; I just had ice cream earlier this week, and it's really too cold for frozen treats.

Went right to the Haddon Township Library next. No adult DVDs to shelve, but there were plenty of kids' and foreign titles to do. This week's wild weather was reflected in empty shelves. I had no problems organizing and putting away all of the kids' movies, even the overflowing S titles. No trouble clearing foreign and kids' titles from the adult section, either. I ended up with two animated movies from last summer I've wanted to see for a while, Planes and Monsters University.

I went home through Newton River Park to avoid the rush hour traffic on Cuthbert. Given the freezing weather, you won't be surprised to hear that the park was empty. The only other living creatures I saw were a flock of ducks looking for a frozen fish snack. The park was beautiful in its own way, though. The thick ice on the river sparkled in the late afternoon sunlight. The dry reeds bent in the breeze.

When I got in, I went online briefly to check the weather reports. Action News fussed about the possibility of a foot of snow or more on Monday...for Philadelphia. It looks like Southern New Jersey will be getting maybe 4 to 6 inches, a lot for early March, but nothing like a foot. It also appears that it'll be cold for a day or two next week, then go back to being in the 30s and 40s. More than likely, any snow we get next week will be gone within a week or two.

I jumped into the bath around 5:30. I needed that bath. I wasn't in there for too long, but it felt really nice. I just read Women Who Run With the Wolves and a book of fairy tales and listened to one of my big band CDs.

When I got out, I made breaded chicken breasts and roasted Brussels sprouts for dinner while watching the first half of Planes. A lot of critics complained about poor animation and a lack of originality; maybe they were upset that it was originally intended to be a direct-to-DVD release, but was switched to theaters at the last minute. At any rate, I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.

No comments: