Sunday, October 01, 2017

Autumn Blue and Gold

Started off a gorgeous fall day with Dark Chocolate Chip Pancakes. Yum. They came out really well this time, not burnt at all. Had them with a bunch of very ripe grapes and blueberry tea.

Listened to Witchcraft...! while I ate. This is a collection of instrumental jazz versions of songs involving witches, spells, moons, or magic, performed by Ray Martin and His Orchestra. While technically not a Halloween LP, songs like "Ring of Fire," "Old Devil Moon," "Witchcraft," and "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered" have an appropriately spooky ring to them.

Did a little writing after I did the dishes. Ben sadly explains what happened. In 1970, after a rumble, the Imperial Gang burned down the Jedi Knights' favorite hang-out, the Order 66 Diner. The old hotel next-door, the Mufasar, went up with it. Patti Mae, Adam's girlfriend, had gone to confront Adam about his running around with the Imperial Gang. She wanted him to settle down with her and raise their child. Ben found him trying to strangle her in the burning diner. He gets her out to a friend, but they're caught in the hotel as it's collapsing. Ben's able to get out...but he can't get Adam, who is wedged under a beam. He finally tells a firefighter Adam's still in the conflagration.

Broke around quarter after noon to head out. Today was Oaklyn's Town Picnic. I actually had a little time before work to enjoy it this year. There were five different bounce houses and several games for the kids. Adults enjoyed booths advertising local businesses and services, including the Oaklyn Library and the Boy Scouts. I took advantage of the free food to settle down with a (very charred) hamburger with mustard and relish and a much tastier pasta salad for lunch.

Work was very busy when I arrived. Today's the beginning of the month and a major Eagles game against the Los Angeles Chargers. While I did mop the bathrooms when I arrived, gathered baskets and the outdoor trash, bagged a little bit, and did some returns, I was mainly outside. I'm glad I was. It was too nice to be inside. The weather was sunny, breezy but not blustery, and as blue as can be. Couldn't have been more perfect for the first day of October. It slowed down considerably even before the game started, enough that I was barely doing anything by the time I finished at 5:30.

Jodie had texted me around 5. Did I want to come over and watch the game? Sure! I hadn't gone over there in ages, and this would be the first time this year I'd be able to watch the game with family. I went straight to their house from the Acme.

Dad, Jodie, and Mark were the only ones there when I arrived. Khai was outside running around with his friends, and Rose had to run an errand. I enjoyed chips with onion dip, salad, butter and Italian bread, and Jodie's delicious beef and potato stew.

The game wasn't bad, either. The Eagles were up 14-7 when I arrived. The Chargers caught up in a big way in the second half, to the point where Dad was fussing every five minutes that they were going to lose. Nope, didn't happen. Once again, they pulled off a last-minute victory, beating the Chargers 26-24. (Dad may have been upset because the Saints wiped the floor with the Dolphins earlier in the day, 20-0.)

I did get to talk briefly to Jodie and to Rose, who was rocking baby Finley to sleep when she got home. Both are fine. Rose has a beautiful new hairdo, with a nice, darker color. Both dads are doing somewhat better. In fact, Jodie and Dad-Bruce ran into Dad-Bill on the ferry to Delaware earlier in the week. Mom's definitely doing Thanksgiving this year. Rose may borrow Dad-Bruce and Jodie's van to get us all down there.

Oh, and Dana gave me an invitation for hers and Jesse's wedding, which is going to be next April. I'm not really big on huge, fancy events. We'll see what I can do there.

No comments: