Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Winter Is For the (Angry) Birds

I awoke to...bare ground. It was chilly when I strolled out the door, but not snowing or raining, or even windy. I walked to work. I didn't have the time to mess with the bike seat, and I wasn't sure what the weather was going to be like later.

It flurried on and off after about quarter of 10, but the real snow didn't start picking up until past 11:30. I ended up spending a lot of the day doing carts. We were busier than expected with people who saw the weather and panicked. It didn't help that a lot of cashiers who come in later were worried about the weather and called out. At least the afternoon bagger came in ahead of schedule. I let him take over the carts and shoveling the snow while I did the recycling and outside trash, gathered baskets, and cleaned up after a bleach spill next to the express register.

By the time I got off work with a soft pretzel for a treat (I was starved from doing carts and all the walking), the snow was slowing down. We'd gotten about two or three inches of very slushy, messy snow and ice. It's probably just as well that I did walk. I was able to bring along my umbrella and keep most of myself (except my feet) dry. The streets were fine. Some sidewalks had been shoved, but most hadn't, which made for quite an adventure.

Went into playing Angry Birds Star Wars when I finally made it home and changed into dry clothes. Han and Leia continue out into the reaches of space, dodging more TIE Fighters and AT-AT walkers. These were considerably tougher, including some places where Leia had to pull out a Walker leg just the right way, or Obi-Wan would have to use the Force to knock the blocks over in just the right place. Chewbacca also got an upgrade during these rounds; he just becomes bigger and able to smash through larger objects.

Did a little research when I went online. I thought I might be able to get rental assistance. Scratch that idea. There's a waiting list for rental assistance and rental vouchers in most of the local counties that's as much as three years long, and few to no openings at most low-income apartment buildings. (And those with openings are mostly senior centers.) I'm not waiting two to three years to find an apartment.

Did a little writing after I gave up on the apartment hunt. Han and Chewie fight bravely - Chewie with Thomas, the cowardly servant, on his back - but they're surrounded. Both men are eventually overcome by the guards and pinned down. Lando finally admits that he helped Palpatine lure Han there to keep him from killing him and destroying his livelihood.

Didn't break for dinner until 7:30. Made a cheese n' blueberry jelly omelet with a green salad while watching more Buck Rogers. Buck and Hawk find a glowing green box that they have to deliver to "The Guardians." Things go wrong almost as soon as they bring the box on board the Searcher. Everyone starts to have strange, dark hallucinations. One crew member tries to destroy the box, but it comes right back, making Buck realize that it's leading them to its new owner.

Finished out the night after a shower with "Mark of the Saurian." Thanks to his having picked up an alien virus, Buck can see green lights around an ambassador and his entourage that reveal them to be walking lizards that want to take over the galaxy (in a plot reminiscent of the horror movie They Live from later in the 80's). Buck tries to prove what he's seeing to the others, but they think he's crazy. Buck has to figure out how to prove that he's telling the truth, before the aliens take over the ship.

Oh and it started raining shortly after I got home, and has been raining for the rest of the evening. It's supposed to get into at least the 50's by the end of the week here. I wouldn't be surprised if the snow was gone or partially gone by the time I go to work tomorrow.

No comments: