Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Spring In My Step

The day did not begin well. I awoke to Charlie cursing on the porch. I forgot he was going to start putting the new siding on the house today. I'd been reading Superfluous Women for an hour and ignoring him when the phone rang. Turns out it was a very upset Mrs. Stahl. Her brother had just died, and she was going to his funeral. Having lost my stepfather back in October, I could understand her distress too well. We rescheduled our appointment to the end of May, the week after Lauren's visit.

Finally had breakfast while watching more Dick Van Dyke Show. Rob is more than a little surprised when "Harrison B. Harding of Camp Crowder, Mo." shows up at the office one day, claiming to be an old army buddy. He doesn't recognize him, but he still invites him and his wife to his house for dinner. He's convinced that Harding has nefarious motives, and gets Laura worrying, too...but maybe things aren't as bad as they seem.

Headed to the laundromat after the episode ended. I'd already planned on doing this in the morning anyway. There were a few people around when I arrived. By the time my small load was in the dryer, the place was almost empty. I listened to 70's and 80's hits (and one good recent country-pop song) playing over a man's phone, ignored soap operas, and worked on story notes.

Put everything away when I got home, then made a strawberry-banana smoothie for lunch. Continued with Dick Van Dyke while I sipped my treat. Rob was supposed to buy "Forty-Four Tickets" for the PTA, but he forgot. Now he has to beg, borrow, or con enough tickets off everyone he can think of, before the members figure out what's going on.

Since the weather is supposed to be lousy the rest of the week anyway, I flip-flopped my original plans for Thursday and did the Haddon Township Library today. It was so nice, I took the long way through Newton Lake Park. The weather was gorgeous today, sunny and breezy, a perfect upper 60's-lower 70's spring day. I dodged a lot of people enjoying the scenery, including dog walkers, fisherfolk, parents out with strollers, and people out for jogs.

The Haddon Township Library wasn't terribly busy when I arrived. It was too beautiful for people to want to hang around a library all day. I shelved all the DVDs I could. Many of the shelves were overloaded, and there were quite a few titles I just couldn't fit in. Didn't get any movies, but I did find the next Super Hero High novel, this one about Bumblebee.

Made a very quick stop at Target on the way home for cough drops. I'm hoping it'll loosen the gunk in my chest enough to stop me from sounding like I'm hacking up a hair ball. They weren't busy either, and I was in and out in less than 15 minutes.

Noticed that Phillies Yummies was open for the first time this season. They're the ice cream place a few blocks down from me on West Clinton. Tried a cherry vanilla Yum-Yum, a creamier, grittier water ice. Oooh, it was good, especially the vanilla part. Enjoyed it a table while watching the kids show off on their bikes and chatter amongs themselves at the picnic benches on the sidewalk.

Went straight home and on the computer, ignoring Charlie's fussing as he finished up the work for the day. Leia, Harris, Luke, and Chewbacca manage to get out and regroup in a service hallway. Leia expects the guys to follow her, but Harris is having none of it. He's his own man. They finally get to a catwalk above the Falcon...only to be spotted by the Shadow Men...

Broke for a quick dinner at quarter of 7, then some Lego Star Wars. The two rounds I did tonight are among the longest in the game. "Through the Jutland Wastes" and "Mos Eisley" both have distinct parts and long, involved puzzles that take a while to figure out. I managed to get True Jedi from "Jutland," but got shot at too much to get it in "Mos Eisley." Didn't really find much in the way of pieces in either round. I do better with those rounds on Free Play, when I have refilling hearts and invincibility.

Finished the evening with the fantasy Yolanda and the Thief. I go more into this unusual Fred Astaire film from 1945 at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Yolanda and the Thief

No comments: