Friday, October 08, 2021

When Things Were Rotten

Got a rare chance to sleep in this morning. When I did get up, I had breakfast and watched Hogan's Heroes. Hogan convinces Klink that he wants to go "To Russia Without Love" when Kommenant Strausser of the Eastern Front wants to transfer and gives him secret papers. After Strausser turns out to not be what he claims, they have to figure out how to convince Klink to stay.

Worked on writing for a while next. Duchess Marcia's pepper-obsessed cook Miss Mary (Wickes) is the next "witness." She's not much of a witness. All she does is shake pepper around, tell King Allen he should use more pepper in his tarts, and leave. Brett is called on after her...and not only did she see Ira (Skutch) the Knave of Hearts steal the tarts, but she has more than one thing she wants to say to the assembled courtroom...

Broke for lunch at 1. Had the last of that hoagie from the other day while watching more Hogan's. Doubled back to "The Meister Spy," which I started watching a few days ago but didn't get to finishing. The guys and a downed pilot are dismayed when the pilot's commanding officer turns out to be a double agent. Hogan gets him back and finds out what he knows.

I was about to head off to work and to drop Sweet Tea Revenge off in the book drop at the library when I realized my back tire was a bit flat. I pumped it, and it seemed good as new again. Was able to drop off the book and, since I was in that direction, took the long way down Nicholson Road. Barely got to work on time.

Got my schedule when I came in. On one hand, I'll be on vacation starting Wednesday...but I work 8 or 8 1/2 hours every day before that! They couldn't have given me shorter shifts, or even a day off? We're just too short-handed. Another older cashier got tired of his hours and quit, and there's still a lot of people on school or non-virus-related medical leave.  

Work was tiring and a bit of a pain. I was in a register today. We were busy almost the entire evening. While most people were in decent moods, there were a lot of huge orders, and a few folks who took forever. At least one guy ended up putting back a quarter of his order when he figured out he didn't have the money. Thankfully, it slowed down enough by 7 for me to leave without a relief.

And, of course, the tire was flat again by the time I finished. It was too late to call anyone, and I wasn't sure if they could carry me and my bike anyway. I walked home in the dark. At least it's not raining. Cloudy, humid, and warm for this time of year, but not raining. 

I tried as hard as I could to get the tire off when I got home, but it just wouldn't budge. I got the bolts off that held the tire to the frame, but not the ones that held them to the brakes. And then, the chain came off. It took me an hour, and I still couldn't get it off. I'm so disappointed in myself. I should be able to fix my own bike with no trouble. I finally put it in the garage and called Rose. I'll just do Uber tomorrow. 

Dropped my laundry at Jodie's side of the house (with her blessings this time), then finished the night with second season Charlie's Angels. "Mother Goose Is Running For His Life" when a small LA toy company is hit with a series of accidents, including a toy cannon shooting a man who tried to wire-tap the room. Kelly poses as a woman working with the next wire-tapper, Sabrina as a woman who is interested in the toy company for her father's international toy empire, and Kris as a life-sized doll to find out who has it in for Mother Goose. 

No comments: